Mortise & Tenon Joints

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

PrplHrtJarHead

Today was a good day. Got to make a lot of sawdust and completed the cut list for my current project.

Tomorrow I will begin assembly of the curio I'm making for my wife. It calls for mortise and tenon joints, which I have never done. I understand the "how to" but was wondering if anyone had any tips for me?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
PHJ, is that the curio cabinet plan with the sliding front panel mounted on drawer slides? If it is, that is the same one I have been looking at making. Let us know how it turns out. What type of wood did you decide to go with?

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
All I can advise is to make your mortises first then the tenons. Also you might consider using loose tenon jointery, depending on how you are tooled up. Loose tenon is very easy to do with a router, and a simple alignment jig. Cut your mortises in all pieces to be joined and the make a stick of tenon stock rounding over the edges to fit the router cut mortise's curves. I have one question for you, if you make that curio, will that pretty girl come to your house to model it, if so I'm making one right away (after the wife goes out of town:lol: :lol: :lol: ) Good luck on your project and keep us posted on the progress. Dave:-D

M

McRabbet

PrplHrtJarHead said:
... the curio I'm making for my wife. It calls for mortise and tenon joints, which I have never done. I understand the "how to" but was wondering if anyone had any tips for me?
Ironically, I just completed a techniques survey from the December WOOD Online Newsletter (an e-mail newsletter) and downloaded a free piece on Mortise and Tenon Joint techniques. Since it is in the public domain, I'll upload it to the Download page. It includes plans for a TS Tenoning jig that looks easy to make (I already have a jig I made). I'll look forward to seeing your pics on this curio cabinet -- as a Wood subscriber for more than 10 years, I've long thought that this cabinet would be a great project, too. If you want to do the survey or see the e-zine, go here

M

McRabbet

:) Just uploaded the PDF file to the Downloads page under Jigs and Fixtures. See it here.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

D L Ames said:
PHJ, is that the curio cabinet plan with the sliding front panel mounted on drawer slides? If it is, that is the same one I have been looking at making. Let us know how it turns out. What type of wood did you decide to go with?

D L

Yep it is. The shop I work at sells mahogany but was out, ended up going with white oak after some input from the folks at this site. Good call too. I got some real nice grains.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

DaveO said:
I have one question for you, if you make that curio, will that pretty girl come to your house to model it, if so I'm making one right away (after the wife goes out of town:lol: :lol: :lol: ) Good luck on your project and keep us posted on the progress. Dave:-D

I'm hoping once it's completed she'll swing by:-D If she doesn't, maybe I'll have to polish the wood a little better, :icon_thum you know, like rubbing the genie's lamp, right?:eusa_whis It's all about working the wood.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

insomniac said:
Take a look at this - he mentions some techniques that may be helpful.

Good article, thanks.

Thanks again to everyone for their input.:icon_thum

P

PrplHrtJarHead

Well, I was mistaken about these joints. I did cut tenons however I used a 1/4" dado to cut a groove to accomodate the tenons and glass.

Unlike some newbies, I am very excited about learning and doing more challenging work.

The tenons I cut were right on the money, no re-cuts or adjustments required, much to my surprise. :icon_thum Everything fit well in the first stages of assembly. :-o At the end of the day, I glued up both of the sides for the cabinet. Next comes the base and then crown. Last will be the door.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Excellent, great job. What is sound like you used is a groove and stub tenon. I just finished using that system to make flat panel doors for my Dt jig storage box. I find them relatively easy to produce, strong and attractive. I use a router table with a straight bit to route the groove and the the daddo set to cut the tenon. You know you have it right if the daddo removes just the wall of the groove, on the section being tenoned. Can't wait to see pics. Pics of works in progress are often more impressive than one of the final project only, and more educational. Dave:)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
PHJ, are you using the shop on base? If so, it nice to know it is still open. The one at Bragg closed down in the mid-80's and never reopened. I sure wish I could of picked-up some of their tools when the sent them to auction over at DRMO. The had some very nice machines that definitely fell into the Wood Guy category.

D L

P

PrplHrtJarHead

D L Ames said:
PHJ, are you using the shop on base? If so, it nice to know it is still open. The one at Bragg closed down in the mid-80's and never reopened. I sure wish I could of picked-up some of their tools when the sent them to auction over at DRMO. The had some very nice machines that definitely fell into the Wood Guy category.

D L

Yep, sure am. Well, things are getting tight here too. The base opened a new wood/auto shop facility about 5 years ago. When I got back from Iraq a few months ago, I found out that it is no longer free use, rather you have to pay dues. I didn't have too much heartburn forkin' over 45 bucks, but I have to believe MWR isn't going broke, so how come we have to pay? The two shops here draw in enough money it would seem to cover operating costs, minus salaries, which come out of the general funds anyway.

I'm no financial guru, and I know that everyone is tightening their belts so to speak, but it just doesn't seem like MWR is putting back as much as they take from the service members.

P

PrplHrtJarHead

DaveO said:
Excellent, great job. What is sound like you used is a groove and stub tenon. I just finished using that system to make flat panel doors for my Dt jig storage box. I find them relatively easy to produce, strong and attractive. I use a router table with a straight bit to route the groove and the the daddo set to cut the tenon. You know you have it right if the daddo removes just the wall of the groove, on the section being tenoned. Can't wait to see pics. Pics of works in progress are often more impressive than one of the final project only, and more educational. Dave:)

Yeah, i guess that would be it, stub and grove...isn't that a 70's band name? ;-)

Anyway, the shop is closed today and tomorrow, will take the camera and post some pix Wednesday night when I get back. Won't be anything fancy, but should at least show off some nice square, oak frames for the cabinet.

I thought about the camera before too, and I would like to document the whole project, but I kind of get wrapped up and forget about taking the photos.:idea:

P

PrplHrtJarHead

PrplHrtJarHead said:
will take the camera and post some pix Wednesday night when I get back.

I thought about the camera before too, and I would like to document the whole project, but I kind of get wrapped up and forget about taking the photos.:idea:

Ok, so I didn't take the camera Wednesday and I was unable to work Thursday and Friday. Headed to the shop this morning for a couple of hours with the camera. Looking forward to the critiques of my work.:-?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS