Mortise machine

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I am considering getting a mortising machine So I have 2 questions.

Are they worth it in general?
Right now I use the drill press with Fostner Bits thna a chisel. Or sometimes, a router.

If I do decide to get one, which one?
When I decide to buy anything. I usually try to decide which product to buy and then look for the deal. When, I do it the opposite, I usually regret the product choice.

Monty

New User
Monty
SteveColes said:
Are they worth it in general?
Yes, if you plan to do a lot of M&T work. Need square hole? Put it on the mortiser and drill a square hole. Simple as that.

SteveColes said:
If I do decide to get one, which one?
For a benchtop mortiser, top-notch would probably be one of the General International machines. I've also heard good things about the Delta 14-651 (not the MM300). The Delta would probably be my choice, but I haven't read about these in a while.

There is an article from American Woodworker about mortisers. I have seen more recent reviews - that one is 5 years old, but it gives you some idea what to look for, anyway.

Me? I have a 2nd hand Craftsman that works 'OK' for my level of use. I had to clamp down the fence/hold-down system with c-clamps to make it actually hold, but it works OK.

Phillip

New User
Phillip Fuentes
Steve, i've used mortisers for jobs where l was doing lots of mortises (face frames at a cabinet shop). i don't find them particularly handy, the mortises are never perpendicular, are fuzzy, they just don't look "pro". i don't know if the uneven side walls give a glue surface i'd trust for furniture. the clean walls of a router cut mortise really seem like the ideal for a small shop. plus, a mortiser is a dedicated machine (albeit a small one) taking up valuable horizontal space. i'll be at the extravaganza in hickory with my eye on the trend mortise and tenon jig (or a tormek), i've seen it at woodcraft and on the internet but maybe they'll be demonstrating. just my two cents.

phillip

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I can't comment the "cleanliness" of the cut. But I know I can a decent onr Forstner and chisel, but it's a lot of work:roll: The router makes a great mortise, but it is a lot of set up time, to just make one or two of the same size.

I was looking at at mortisers at the Klingspor in Raleigh. (Sorry, tom:oops: ). They had a General for $900 with 1 HP motor Head agles so you can make angled mortises and the the x-y table is built in. It was so sexy:drunken_s

Anyway the project that made me even think of a mortiser, doesn't look feasable for evewn the expnesive one. There is only 2-4 inches of clearance between fence and chisel. It seems all these machine are meant for legs, aprons and stiles. Anything, else, and would back to forstner or router.

Thanks for chiming in, I appreciate it.

BTW, I was looking at the trend jig and i think it it would have the same restriction.

I think maybe I'm just looking to buy another tool :eusa_naug rather than finish the work I got:eusa_whis

mshel

New User
Michael Shelley
Steve,

Based on the 2006 Tool Guide, the General International 75-050T was the best overall choice + the readers choice. Street price = $400.00. The Delta 14-651 was the best overall value. If you look at Woodworkers Supply, they offer a Woodtek 138-224 which has a lot of the same features as the GI for $320.00 I personally have the Delta MM300 but would recommend a larger motor. Also, a X-Y vise is a good upgrade but don't believe it will fit the GI but it might. Here is my setup http://www.ncwoodworker.net/gallery/files/1/8/shoppics016.JPG

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
I've been hearing good things about the Jet benchtop mortisers. The editor of Popular Woodworking magazine had a big article in one of the past issues about how he owns a Jet and had used several others, and they were great machines. Since I haven't been able to justify the cost of a dedicated mortising machine for what little I do :BangHead:, I use the forstner bit/chisel method :eusa_booh.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Well, I've decided to follow Nancy Regan's advice "Just Say No" to a motice machine that is. :lol:

For a person like me, who can just justify anything, at any price, if I really want something:crybaby2:, that is an amazing statement

DaveO

New User
DaveO
That's the first step to recovery....for the tool addict. You will eventually find the project that will justify the tool, then it won't seem like a binge.:lol: Dave:)

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
I suggest that you play with 'loose tenons' before you spend any money, because you might like the results. I know I do. I haven't used mine in 10-15 years. In fact I went into the shop before finishing this and can't find it. Think I gave/threw it away.

Joe

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Ditto on the loose tenons. I find them less time consuming to make and more accurate than a mortising machine. That said, I have never been able to resharpen my mortising bits properly. Might make a difference.:oops: Once you get used to loose tenons they are hard to beat. Just a router, router table and a couple of bits.....;-)

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I'm already in one 12 step program, does that mean I need another:crybaby2:

Step1:

"We admitted we were powerless over tool purchases - that our lives had become unmanageable"

No No, I can control it. I can, I can:eusa_doh:

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Steve, IMHO, tool addiction is not an addiction that needs treatment. Even my wife says that she thinks that money spent on tools is far better than money spent playing golf... Tools, at least have some resale value, whereas green fees can't be recovered. You have nothing to show for golf expenses which are every bit as expensive as woodworking. With woodworking you always have a chance that something useful will be made....:eusa_thin :icon_thum

DaveO

New User
DaveO
So true Big Mike, I'll have to let my wife see your reply. You have a very smart wife. Dave:)

Ryan

New User
Ryan Sellers
Several years back I thought I had figured out how to never have to pay for another tool, but get whatever I wanted. Its just too bad Santa's workshop can't make DeWalt, Ridgid, Milwaukee, etc :crybaby2:. Maybe they're worried about copyright infringement :BangHead:!

lbmallett

New User
Larry Mallett
Although this thread has gotten a little off track, I just ordered a Leigh Dove Tail Jig and the mortise/tenon jig accessory. As soon as it arrives and I can wade through the 160 page manual, I'll post my impressions, bearing in mind, of course, that I've only cut a half dozen mortise/tenon joints, none of which I was very happy with. :oops:

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Larry, if you need any advice on the Leigh Dt jig, member Insomniac has one and is getting pretty good with it. Oh, and now you both suck:jealous: :jealous: :jealous:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS