Mortise and Tenon

I have purchased at Festool Domino 700 (large size) and wondered if anyone used the larger domino in place of mortise and tenon joinery?

I have a mortise and was thinking of selling it using the Festool.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I think that's the common use for the Domino. Probably the only time a traditional mortise and tenon joint would really be needed in furniture is if it'll be exposed and you want the rectangular appearance or in cases where a tusk tenon would be appropriate.

I have a mortise and was thinking of selling it using the Festool.

If you manage to sell the hole, let me know. I'll make a bunch of them and put them up on Craigslist. :D

I expect you really meant you have a mortiser and are considering selling it but I couldn't resist.

Henry W

Henry
Corporate Member
Can't answer your question with experience, but my understanding is exactly that - people use the Domino to create loose tenon joinery.
Domino machine (the cutting part) is used to create a mortise in each piece to be joined, and a Domino (piece of wood) is inserted with glue to join them. So yes in general a Festool Domino is used instead of a mortiser. I don't own either so I can't comment on the relative merits.
(Dave posted while I was typing - but essentially the same idea. I resisted comment on selling the mortise instead of the mortiser.)

Wiley's Woodworks

Wiley
Corporate Member
I've been doing some wishful thinking on getting an entire Festool domino set up--700 cutter, 36 vacuum, and 2 boxes of all sizes of dominos. Wham!! I hit $3000 cost. Where did you get your Festool set up, and was it less than that?

Stuart Kent

Stuart
Senior User
I use a model 700 heavily. It isn't anything new or revolutionary, mine replaced a free standing Italian made slot mortiser which brought in only slightly more than the Festool cost me. The one thing it does nicely is travel to the work. I use a $25 Lowes ShopVac with no special hose or attachments when I need portability. It is an accurate, fast, efficient, repeatable, machine - that comes at a premium. Hope this helps.

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
I do not own the larger domino, but I do have the smaller model, which I have used extensively. I can only recall one occasion where I really needed the larger domino, otherwise the smaller one has served me well. Unless you really want to, you may never have to chop another mortise!

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS