More Trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
For those interested in making the angled trash can, I have uploaded a few photos (20+) in my gallery under the folder "HowIDidIt". There are currently no photos of my dimensioned drawings, as they are in pencil and are not showing up too well on a photo, but i will add them after I go over them with ink. Meanwhile, I hope the photos and accompanying descriptions will give most intermediate level woodworkers plenty to go on.

I include the standard disclaimers about safety guards, hold-down devices, etc removed for illustration purposes. However, should someone decide to use this design for a shop class, etc, I would like to point out one photo in particular:

This is used for illustration:
BtmRtMtr.jpg

This is how I actually cut the piece

Smallcut.jpg

I would not want someone to get hurt trying to hold a small piece by hand using a miter saw.

Hope the photos will answers most questions, and I will be glad to provide more info as requested. As for the dimensioned drawings when I get them up, the dimensions can change substantially with just a small variation in angle, so dry fit and adjustment will still be necessary.

Go

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Thanks Mark, that make perfect sense now. Parallelogram is the key. That is where I was off...I was square.
Thanks for taking the time to post the pics...they were worth a thousand words.
Dave:)

J

jeff...

Does this thread carry the standard "do not try this at home" disclaimer? I've seen a lot of those kind of disclaimers on TV.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Dimensioned drawings now in photo gallery. Dimensions are for one approx 11 1/2 wide, 8 deep and 12 high. also included parts list with finished piece dimensions so you can add what extra milling allowance you need depending on the wood you start with.

I did come up with an alternate profile for the top/bottom rails. Actually, only the top of the top rail and the bottom of the bottom rail need beveling, which means the panel dadoes will be a straight 90 degrees. However, the bottom panel dado will still need to be beveled. I figured as long as I had the set-up, it wasn't much trouble to bevel both sides, but i can see where using a router and a panel bit set, having the squared edge would help.

Let me get a picture of that up too.

Jeff: Its okay for you to try this at home, but make sure you have adult supervision :gar-Bi

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thank You Mark,

May very well be the next attempted project. But if Dave had trouble, :dontknow: if I could do it or not:icon_scra

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Tracy, Looking at your work, I think you underestimate yourself!! Don't let the angles intimidate you. It is basically four flat trapezoids hooked together with a rectangular piece for the bottom. The hardest part in making the pieces is keeping up, down, left, right, inside and outside in perspective, so it is best to mark them someway. The second hardest part is gluing it together. It is difficult to get any clamp pressure as it will cause everything to skew out of alignment. Concentrate on getting a good dry fit so only firm hand pressure is needed to set the pieces together.

Its hard unless you know all the angles. In this case, all the angles are 7 degrees. So now you know all the angles, too, so you there is no reason not to do it.
:wsmile::wsmile:

Go

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Tracy, Looking at your work, I think you underestimate yourself!! Don't let the angles intimidate you. It is basically four flat trapezoids hooked together with a rectangular piece for the bottom. The hardest part in making the pieces is keeping up, down, left, right, inside and outside in perspective, so it is best to mark them someway. The second hardest part is gluing it together. It is difficult to get any clamp pressure as it will cause everything to skew out of alignment. Concentrate on getting a good dry fit so only firm hand pressure is needed to set the pieces together.

Its hard unless you know all the angles. In this case, all the angles are 7 degrees. So now you know all the angles, too, so you there is no reason not to do it.
:wsmile::wsmile:

Go

Mark, Thank you for the vote of confidence. I will probably try it soon. I looked at your gallery and that should help.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Sorry Jeff. Guess my age is showing. There used to be a TV show called Mr Wizard, and when Don Herbert (Mr Wizard) would do any experiment that was hazardous, he would tell the kids not to try it a t home without their parents with them.

I have been told that my humor is sometimes so dry that it dehydrates camels!!

Go

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS