More Shop Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dragon

New User
David
Decent weather equals shop time for me. Had to solve a small dilemma though. I've had this Maple stump sitting on the porch/shop for over a year now drying. Admittedly not the ideal environment for that but that was the only place for it at the time due to the size and weight. Now way I could lift it up on the bench so I had to rig up an addition for my router sled get-up. This is what I came up with.
Maple_stump41.JPG

After planing it down level, I just couldn't resist hitting it with a little BLO to see what the grain looked like. My original plan was use this stump as a base for dining table so it was cut at 38" length to be cut down to the its finished height of 32". I was going to put the root end on the floor and put some kind of solid top on it. Now that I've seen the grain in it, I'm having a hard time sticking to the original plan.
Maple_stump1.JPG

While looking for that butterfly shaped slab I was working on last weekend, I remembered having another large slab that had bowed really bad on me last year.:BangHead: I had taken it up to the storage unit and left it there thinking I'd do something with it one day. Well, yesterday, I decided to tackle it and see what came of it. All things considered, I guess it was a good thing that I had originally cut it at around 6" thick. Planing out all that bowing to get a level surface end to end left me with a little over 2" thickness.:icon_thum

After all day planing and re-honing bits, it came out alright. I did a little initial sanding and gave 'er a real good coat with the BLO. WOW! This piece has some really neat grain and a lot of "flame" in areas where I never expected it.
Odd_shape_slab3.JPG

This and the other two large slabs are all from the same tree. Thanks for looking.

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
awesome looking wood....I am also interested in yer router /planer...did you make from scratch or from a plan....can you pass along the details?:eusa_danc

Dragon

New User
David
awesome looking wood....I am also interested in yer router /planer...did you make from scratch or from a plan....can you pass along the details?:eusa_danc

Well, it's made from a plan sortof, maybe. I did a good bit of research on router sleds, including a lot of it here on ncwoodworker. I came up with a few workable ideas, scrounged and scarfed up materials here and there, got some metal cutting help from Greg, Woodman2k here, and cobbled this lash-up together over the course of the last couple months. I'll be happy to send you some links to the different places I researched if you like. Send me a PM and I'll forward that back to you. One site that gave me ideas for a very simple but very effective setup was Deadwood Renaissance; http://deadwoodrenaissance.com/Tools_and_Jigs.aspx

Let me know if I can be of help and I'll try my best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS