Kelly
User
Here are some of my Christmas boxes.
Sapele and Spalted Maple
Sapele and Big Leaf Maple Burl
Mahagony and Koa
Mahagony and Bloodwood.
Ultrasuede lining
Will be held on by rare earth magnets when they get here.
Aren’t boxes fun to make. And people love ‘em.

Attachments

• CB2C8426-4C74-48BC-9FEE-17017423F8A2.jpeg
    CB2C8426-4C74-48BC-9FEE-17017423F8A2.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 195
  • 915B98B3-3E21-479C-9CFC-655B6AACD225.jpeg
    915B98B3-3E21-479C-9CFC-655B6AACD225.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 187
  • 6ADD4052-D218-4A3A-A4D0-5282562FC310.jpeg
    6ADD4052-D218-4A3A-A4D0-5282562FC310.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 180
  • F39BE09B-5A37-405A-A80C-8AC7031E2283.jpeg
    F39BE09B-5A37-405A-A80C-8AC7031E2283.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 173

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I really like that figured lid!

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Really sharp looking boxes. Nice choice of figured woods and a great shape. Ur right about boxes being great fun and make great gifts. How do you align the magnets for a perfect alignment?

Kelly

Kelly
User
First , I spent time making 3 carefully matched templates.
Next, trace the big pattern onto a blank. I hollow out most of the center with Forstner bits., keeping the blank square and maintaining a center line. Next, I use a pattern bit and the big template to finish out the center.
Next, I use the bandsaw and second template to shape the outside and the base is finished.
MAINTAIN THE CENTER LINE !!!
I drill the holes in each end of the base to accept the magnets. Then pick a piece for the top larger than the base. Put dowel centers in the holes and press the top down. Drill very shallow holes in the top where the dowel centers mark. Put small peices of dowel pins in each hole and put the top on. Then turn it over, trace the base onto the top. Bandsaw it and sand the base with the top on it to a perfect match.
The top gets hand shaped and sanded. The pics do not show it, but the tops are thicker in the center than on the ends. I did this with a tilted sled through my Performax.
The center template is for the ultra suede bottom.
Too much information?

Attachments

• D630F236-F10E-4DFA-9DF0-C3C28C757102.jpeg
    D630F236-F10E-4DFA-9DF0-C3C28C757102.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 121
  • ADF2461E-0822-4103-840F-E0A0B4F0A2EC.jpeg
    ADF2461E-0822-4103-840F-E0A0B4F0A2EC.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 130

Matt Furjanic

New User
Matt
Next, trace the big pattern onto a blank. I hollow out most of the center with Forstner bits., keeping the blank square and maintaining a center line. Next, I use a pattern bit and the big template to finish out the center.
Next, I use the bandsaw and second template to shape the outside and the base is finished.
I drill the holes in each end of the base to accept the magnets. Then pick a piece for the top larger than the base. Put dowel centers in the holes and press the top down. Drill very shallow holes in the top where the dowel centers mark. Put small peices of dowel pins in each hole and put the top on. Then turn it over, trace the base onto the top. Bandsaw it and sand the base with the top on it to a perfect match.
The top gets hand shaped and sanded. The pics do not show it, but the tops are thicker in the center than on the ends. I did this with a tilted sled through my Performax.
Too much information?
No excellent explanation- Thank you...

Volksdad

New User
Glen
Too much information?
Nope- generously explained! Thank you for sharing your technique.

Kelly

Kelly
User
The reason I emphasize the center line is so the walls are uniform thickness. Otherwise it will vary. I think that really affects the esthetic.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS