Moisture meter recommendation

Kelly

Kelly
User
I have not had an overwhelming need for a moisture meter until now.
I will not use it often so I don’t want a top dollar high tech job...just a fairly accurate reading.
Any recommendations ?

Oka

Casey
Corporate Member
I have the Delmhorzt and the General, the General works as well as the more expensive. The Delmhorzt has more features that you probably never use. I have both for work.

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I have the Lignomat pinless. Can be set to read 1/4 or 3/4 into the wood. Very accurate but not cheap. Works great. Easy to take multiple readings on the same piece of wood. You'll find the ends are often drier than the middle.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Just picked up the Pittsburgh meter$13.99. Reads 0% on everything in my house. Reads 82 degrees F when it is 78. One piece of old cedar read 2%. Reads 20% on my finger and 38% in a wet sponge. Guess I take it back.

bob vaughan

Bob Vaughan
Senior User
Timely topic for me.
My old Delmhorst uses a 45 volt battery. Those batteries used to last for years and years. New ones last less than a year if that. New ones are filled with coin size batteries. Real junk. I could probably rig up five nine-volt batteries but I'm not so inclined to do that.
I suspect that modern technology has improved a tad.

My old Delmhorst just for grins.

1   delmhorst - 1.jpg

1   delmhorst - 2.jpg

Michael Mathews

Michael
Corporate Member
I have a Fluke pin type moisture meter. Mine works pretty well. We buy Fluke at work quite regularly, so I know the quality of their equipment. Mine has been spot on since I got it long ago! 9V battery last a long time too!

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
General should get here today from Amazon.

Fluke is great, but above hobby cost. When I was in the lab, we considered nothing but:
Fluke: handhelds
Tek: Scopes
HP: Analyzers
Wavetek: generators
Lambda: Supplies

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Got the General. It seems to work. My chair seat that is an issue reads 9.7% which is about what I woudl expect form indoor furniture. Probing around, I get between 8.5 and 9.9. The HF unit measured zero.

wbarnes

Will
Corporate Member
I got a Klein ET140 on Amazon a few months back for around $40. Seems to be good quality with accurate results for the price.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Of course, we have to guess accuracy I think. For air, I have a sling psyclometer, but not sure what a reference for wood would be. Hard to think all wood is the same. Anyway, the HF unit was clearly garbage. General is usually a "decent" cheap tool so I'll run with it until I need better.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS