Modern Shaker ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Touchwood

New User
Don
Hi All,

Anyone whose been in my photo gallery knows I've been into Shaker designs for a loooong time. Most of those designs derived from Thom Moser's book "Measured shop drawings for American Furniture". I just adapted his design style and construction methods to thing I wanted to build.

I decided to try something different and sketched up something like I think Shaker would be in the 21st Century . Came up with this little display/foyer table after a lot of doodling.

I've never taken any kind of woodworking or design classes, so I probably did lots of things wrong. Found some dark curly cherry and a nice brown spalted birds-eye maple board in my stash. Used wedged through tenons on the aprons, pearwood for wedges. The cross members are walnut.

CIMG3850.JPG

CIMG3853.JPG

CIMG3882.JPG

CIMG3885.JPG

I think I'll call it "Shaker on Steroids". :gar-La;

Design suggestions gratefully accepted

Don

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Wow Don that looks great - and the top has some fantastic figuring - I like the way the top sets up on the wedges:icon_thum

woodArtz

New User
Bob
Awesome Don! I love all love the features you put into this piece. :icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum:icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Don, that is so rediculously awesome! :eek: I think you should be teaching a furniture design class. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Glennbear

Glenn
Gorgeous table Don, I am a fan of shaker style and your disclosure that you have never taken classes gives me hope that I might turn out some decent furniture with my "self taught" skills. :wsmile:

Touchwood

New User
Don
Gorgeous table Don, I am a fan of shaker style and your disclosure that you have never taken classes gives me hope that I might turn out some decent furniture with my "self taught" skills. :wsmile:

Glenn,

If you like Shaker and you don't have Moser's book you should own it.

http://www.amazon.com/Measured-Shop-Drawings-American-Furniture/dp/0806967927

This is his first one so you can likely find some for cheap. He's done others since but I haven't seen them. I learned everything I needed from this one

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Thanks Fred..in fact thanks everyone!!

Yep, busy Fred...must have had a spurt of energy.

But you know the definition of a spurt right??...a drip under pressure!:rotflm:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
Thanks Fred..in fact thanks everyone!!

Yep, busy Fred...must have had a spurt of energy.

But you know the definition of a spurt right??...a drip under pressure!:rotflm:

must be somthing in the air.... I finally got in the shop after a long time of not caring about it. I'll be postin some pics later this evening when it cools off outside and I can get good pics. I too have been playing in the walnut pile.:gar-Bi

M

McRabbet

Gorgeous table, Don -- it almost floats in front of one's eyes! Beautiful design, great choice of woods and impeccable execution.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Very nice piece! The wedged tenons look great. On closer inspection the edges of the tenons are rounded over, I am not sure I have seen that before. I would say that the mortise was cut with a router but the ends don't look like semicircles.... Ok how did you do it! :)

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or book that includes wedged tenons?

Thanks!
Salem

MikeL

Michael
Corporate Member
Don, I always look forward to clicking on your threads and this one is especially pleasing to the eyes! I am fascinated by the designs people develop. This is a gorgeous piece of work (and art as mentioned earlier). You must have quite a "stash" to pick through to select such beautiful wood to use. I'd love to see a photo of the underside of this table with the wedge and tabletop assembly. You are a true craftsman!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
:star::star::star::star::star:

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don, I always look forward to clicking on your threads and this one is especially pleasing to the eyes! I am fascinated by the designs people develop. This is a gorgeous piece of work (and art as mentioned earlier). You must have quite a "stash" to pick through to select such beautiful wood to use. I'd love to see a photo of the underside of this table with the wedge and tabletop assembly. You are a true craftsman!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us.
:star::star::star::star::star:

Mike..I'm going to take some more pics for the calendar in the next day or so. I'll shoot you a PM with an underside shot. Nothing spectacular..in fact I'm not sure it's worthy of a calendar entry. Some others do so..:notworthy::notworthy::notworthy:

I'm building two more with variations in wood and design. Fun stuff and a good break from rockers..but my true love is calling:gar-Cr

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Very nice piece! The wedged tenons look great. On closer inspection the edges of the tenons are rounded over, I am not sure I have seen that before. I would say that the mortise was cut with a router but the ends don't look like semicircles.... Ok how did you do it! :)

Can anyone recommend a good tutorial or book that includes wedged tenons?

Thanks!
Salem

Salem,

I sort of invented it..too lazy to square up the router cut mortises. I'm sure someone else has done it this crazy way. The mortises were cut on a home made jig that I can push around the spacings on. This time the opening for the mortises was 3/4" spaced for the width apart of the rails. I used a 5/8" bushing with a 3/8" cutter in the router. This means the slot is 1/2" wide and the corners end up with a 3/16" radius. I made the length and width of the tenons fit the slots with a horizontal router and then rounded their edges with a 3/16" round-over bit on the router table. The problem with that is you end up with 3/16" digs in the body of the slat..not good. Solution: Table saw and dado blade to VERY CAREFULLY remove the unwanted digs..which means the tenons grow 3/8" or so in length..so you need to take that into account when designing their length.

If you do wedged tenons, always drill a hole at the end of the slot that's larger than the slot width. If not you stand a good chance of splitting the whole rail when you drive in a tapered wedge.:BangHead: I don't know of a book specifically on that..just picked it up along the way.

Hope this helps. Shoot me a PM if you have more questions.

Don

Touchwood

New User
Don
Don, that is so rediculously awesome! :eek: I think you should be teaching a furniture design class. :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Trent,

I've actually been thinking about that....but I've been at this wonderful craft for 25 years and the more I learn, the more I realize what I don't know.:swoon:

Don

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS