Mobile NCWW, I'm stalled, need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yeah, I dropped this ball.

In all honesty, I have no clue on what to do next.

So, I'm making a call for help.

We got it sort of working on the test site, but beyond whats there now, I'm sort of stuck.

Would anyone be willing to volunteer to spend some time with me ironing out the whole mobile thing?

I don't have a mobile smart phone, so my testing is being done on my PC through emulators.

Jim

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
I'm in Atlanta w/ my 'berry if you wanna ping me. Going to some seminars w/ my daughter & LOML. Available off/on.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I might be able to get you a smartphone on loan for a bit.... I will check on it and let you know.

Still, why not move the thing into production and let the users make suggestions?

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
I have more time now, and a wifi link to accelerate my testing of the mobile pages on my BB 8900. I'll play this afternoon!

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Thanks, I'll pester you folks in particular :)

Travis, I appreciate the offer, but I'm ok with the emulator.

Where I'm stuck is I don't have a good "plan".

Heck, I don't even have a bad plan.

I guess we need to test the basics?

1. Go to the site, and have the mobile style automatically appear
2. be able to log in
3. navigate the forums
4. read threads, make posts
5. Private Messages

I'm unsure what we see in the mobile version. The floating menu, the blue tabs, all the ad's, the various Boxes (classifieds, Birthdays, flashchat,etc).

It'd help to know what works and what doesn't. Things like the ads are important.

Anyone have some suggestions on how to proceed?

I'm not comfortable pushing it into production yet, a few early things were rather bad with the install. One took out our styles and nothing worked.

Jim

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Jim...please PLEASE PLEASE keep it simple and easy to get around in.

When I think mobile I'd like to be able to...
~Log in (of course)
~A link to the classifieds (no classifieds on main page)
~A link to new posts
~Homepage just our logo and a list of forums, with links to PM's etc.

Limit it to the most basic forum features.

Let me know when you need testing, I'm around most of the time.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Leave out the floating menus, classifieds, etc, to start. Just have the forums, and only add what is asked for and agreed upon.

Be able to read posts, reply to posts, start threads. I would not do picture uploading from a handheld right now. Too difficult to deal with on the vast majority of hand helds.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Leave out the floating menus, classifieds, etc, to start. Just have the forums, and only add what is asked for and agreed upon.

Be able to read posts, reply to posts, start threads. I would not do picture uploading from a handheld right now. Too difficult to deal with on the vast majority of hand helds.

Unless it'd be easy to assign an email address to our albums. That way you could just email the photo from your phone to your album. PIcasa and FB both have this functionality and it's really handy!

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
okay, I tho thtoopid, password anyone?

but first thought when viewing without logging in, remove "users online", "polling", and "calendar". Calendar could perhaps be a link, or shuffled to the bottom?

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
You have to register Pete, when I tried they'd blocked it. Ya might wanna wait till Tracy/Bas/Jim is around (maybe Chad too?)

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Yup, you need to register, we don't/aren't syncing the test to the main site for user id's.

The registration process is the same.

Let me know if you have any troubles.

Jim

NCPete

New User
Pete Davio
so, as I try to view the site now, and click on a thread to view the subordinate posts, all I get is the HTML code....

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
No luck on your HTML issue Pete, but I'm making progress!

1. I've disabled the Donation Barometer only in Mobile mode.
2. Found a plugin that lets us set a max threads and posts by Style. So, instead of the 50 we set in normal mode, folks seem to recommend 5 to 10 in Mobile.

Jim

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell
Good to hear! I'll work on removing more. I have to track down an esoteric name of a function before I can tell the mobile plugin to not display it.

But hey, I put the I in esoteric.....

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors