Mobile Lumber Storage Rack - Lumber Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

hpetty

New User
Hugh
I'm building a mobile lumber storage rack like this one:

http://www.woodworkersjournal.com/plans/index.cfm/plan_details/5/13/1865

The plans call for heavy duty lumber shelf standards, which are a little pricey. Years ago I built a lumber storage rack (from a WoodSmith plan) using 1/2" pipe. I drilled holes into 2x4 uprights at a slight 3 degree angle to insert the end of a 16" piece of black pipe. I then used the pipe as the shelf supports. Is there any reason this wouldn't work for this cart? Would it weaken the 2x4s too much when I drill the holes. I used my other rack for several years and never had a problem with the drilled 2x4s. Any thoughts from others?

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Hugh, boring that large/many holes in 2x stock might weaken it some. Is there any way you could modify the plan and use 4x stock for the uprights that would support the shelves? I think that would provide you with a little more support.

D L

DaveO

New User
DaveO
You might consider just laminating 2 2x's together. I haven't found any non pressure treated 4x stock in framing lumber. The bearing surface would be greater allowing the pipes to hold more weight. Dave:)

M

McRabbet

Hugh,
I had considered building that rack myself when I first saw the article and looked back to review it. Assuming you would drill 7/8" diameter holes, you'll be left with only 5/16" of wood on each side of the holes -- As suggested you could use 4x4 stock or sister two lengths of 2x4 stock for the uprights (the sisters could sit on top of the base cross braces shown on the plans). If you add them, do it before you cut the long notches for the upper cross braces. Rob

sapwood

New User
Roger
Where's Steve Coles when you need him ?????

I saw his mobile storage rack Thursday and it looks great :icon_thum
Perhaps he'll chime in shortly :!:

Sapwood

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
sapwood said:
Where's Steve Coles when you need him ?????

I saw his mobile storage rack Thursday and it looks great :icon_thum
Perhaps he'll chime in shortly :!:

Sapwood

If you already deep into construction, then I would bite the bullet and get the recommended "heavy duty lumber shelf standards" or if it is not too late I'd sister the 2 x 4 as almost everyone already has suggested.

But if you are only in the planning stage then take a look at this one I believe this started with our toolferone and then got picked up by Paul Comi in CA. And I believe toolferone got the idea or the cart itself some where else.

What sapwood is referring to, is this type of cart. It works and is cheap to build, if you don't count all the 7/64 drill bits I broke:lol: Mine is made completely from HD 3/4 " sandeply.

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
SteveColes said:
But if you are only in the planning stage then take a look at this one I believe this started with our toolferone and then got picked up by Paul Comi in CA. And I believe toolferone got the idea or the cart itself some where else.

Hey Steve........Do you have any quick tips on "How Not to Install Screws" for a project like this?:lol:

D L

angler240

New User
PAUL
When I need a strong down and dirty shelf bracket, I take a piece of 1/8 X 1 1/2 inch band steel, the length of the 2x4 plus the shelf bracket then double it, bend it in the middle,and drill two holes in each side of open end. Take the 2x4 and dato a kerf in each side 1/8" deep and 1 1/2" long. Insert the open ends of the steel band into the dato kerf and screw to fasten. Looking down at it from the top, it will look like a vee coming out of the 2x4.

This is a very strong arangement, for the screws do not hold the load, the dato cuts do. It still leaves you plenty of wood and should'nt cost any more then the pipe.

good luck

paul

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors