Mobile CMS cabinet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I got a request to get some info about my Compound Miter Saw cabinet so I figured I would start a new post. I am still learning Monty's "informative and well written" faq, so bear with me.;-)

I got the plans for this from an issue of FWW, but to save my life, I cannot figure out which one it is now. So far, I have gone through about 100 issues and cannot find it.:BangHead: Once I do, I will list the issue number if anyone wants it.

So here it is. I sized it to fit my SCMS Dewalt. The wings fold down when the side supports are swung to the back.

I put three drawers in it. The bottom one I use to store my extra blades in and put dividers into it.

The wings are pretty simple. Two layers of 3/4" ply with solid wood edging. I used pocket holes and biscuits to put them together. The wings are set out about an inch and a half from the cabinet and attached with door hinges. I bought the best I could find at the time, but if I did it again I would get ball bearing hinges just for the tighet fit of the pin.

The wing supports are pretty simple. Just a 1/2 inch piece of sandply plywood with a hardwood strip along the top and side of the plywood edge and attached to the cabinet with a piano hinge.

The aluminum angle on the top edge of the cabinet was recommended in the FWW article to help wear and tear. As for positioning the saw should sit a bit forward of the fences as you want your boards to sit flush against the saw and not have the fences push it off. I bolted the saw to the cabinet with 1/4 inch threaded inserts.

If you install casters, you need to be sure and inset them enough from the sides that when they pivot around they don't bump and hit your wings. I found out the hardway (of course) and had to remount them. Personally, I do NOT recommend buying casters at the borg. They outright suck IMO. I either order them from Grizzly (cheapest I have found), or get them from Woodcraft, Klingspor, or Northern Handyman locally.

There may be a few additional pics in my gallery if anyone is interested. I just haven't gotten to be as fast a typist as Monty yet so doing the thumbnails is a bit slow for me still.;-)

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Thanks for this post Travis. I like the design of this cabinet. I have a SCMS station built on one wall of my shop but it eats up too much space. I like the way your extension tables fold down out of the way.

Bummer my back issues of FWW only go back to #134. I have seen a similar style CMS cabinet in Wood Magazine also.

D L

Monty

New User
Monty
I like that cabinet. I always thought that having a permanently mounted CMS station was the way to go, but now that space is becoming increasingly cramped in my little shop, I think I see a project like this in my future... :BangHead:

Thanks for posting, and thanks for finding the back issue... I think I'll have to order that one.

M

McRabbet

There is a very similar design in Popular Woodworking from a few years ago and IIRC, the plan is available as a free download from their site (www.popwood.com). It is a mobile base with foldable extension wings, too. Great space saver, especially for garage shops.

Rob

gad5264

New User
Grant
Travis,
The request came from me and I really appreciate the follow up pictures.

Thanks again,
Grant

J. Fred Muggs

New User
Fred Ray
Thanks,Travis:
That's exactly the stand I've been envisioning to someday build in my shop. hanks for the pics and for locating the plans. Now all I need is the time and money.

Fred

sapwood

New User
Roger
Well done project and documentation Travis. The drawers are a great addition and add a surprising amount of usable space. :eusa_clap

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS