Mobile Bases

Status
Not open for further replies.

sapwood

New User
Roger
As I upgrade my tablesaw with a Unifence I've realized my old custom-crafted mobile base won't work. The Unifence comes with a laminated table extension and legs that need support. A base strong enough to support 400-500 lbs and dimensioned 20-21" x 42-43" is required. So I'm seeking comments from NCWWers. Quick search of online reviews gave the usual varied responses. Expect to get the same here :lol:

1. HTC3000
Generally good reviews, but concerns about durability of plastic cam levers and wheel longevity.

2. Shop Fox Super Heavy Duty with 36" Extensions (G7315 & G8685)
Generally good reviews, but complaints about cheap hardware (bolts stripping), wheel longevity, true load capacity, and PITA assembly.

3. Delta ????
Great reviews, but very expensive and overall dimensions not listed. They are sized for specific Delta products.

4. Make my own
Was impressed with Kota62's bases on this thread. Probably cheaper to build, but time consuming to design and build.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Roger:

I just moved my Table saw onto a HTC HRS-10G. Take a look at my shop progress thread. There are couple of shots of it there. I like it so far. The two legs of the extension table are supported by an "L" shaped bracket.

Doug

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
4. Make my own
Was impressed with Kota62's bases on this thread. Probably cheaper to build, but time consuming to design and build.

Thanks in advance,
Roger

Roger I built a cabinet like Kota62's but added 2 drawers to it and it works great :icon_thum I had the delta base first but it was for a 50 inch fence and took up to much room :BangHead:

chris99z71

New User
Chris
Roger,
I can sympathize with you. I finally decided to build something similar to this but smaller. I got a whole bunch of steel for free by stopping at a construction site and asking for scrap. I got 4 pieces of 4"x6"x 3/8" angle that are 7' long plus a bunch of shorter (2-3 ft) pieces of smaller stock. Now I just need to get off of my duff and build it.
sawcart2.jpg

sapwood

New User
Roger
Roger:

I just moved my Table saw onto a HTC HRS-10G. ... .

Doug

That's a pretty spiffy looking setup Doug! But that one is too big for my saw and shop :crybaby2: I've looked at the various HTCs designed for specific tools on the Woodworker Supply site and apparently I'm the wrong size. Shop Fox has a somewhat similar adjustable base with T-extension, but the reviews makes me a bit wary.

Nick,
Does that mean I gotta come see you again :lol:

Roger

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Roger, if your shop is small, you'll probably want to put a (rolling?) cabinet under the right extension table. None of the commercially available mobile bases allow you to do that because of the extension needed to support the extension table. Either do it yourself or find a friendly metal worker to build one. See my old mobile base thread.

TS-17.jpg

NZAPP1

New User
Nick
Roger you are welcome to visit any time you would like :icon_thum We could measure and copy what I have if want

sapwood

New User
Roger
Morning bump :mrgreen:

Any positive/negative experiences with HTC or Shop Fox mobile bases???
Not trying to start a "Barbeque War", just curious as to personal experiences.:eusa_thin

Roger

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I have HTC bases. Regardless of what you get brand wise, I am preferential to 3 wheel bases compared to 4 wheel. Sits level and easier to lock.

T

toolferone

Any positive/negative experiences with HTC or Shop Fox mobile bases???
Roger

Roger I prefer the HTC. 1st it is better built, better fit and finish and easier to use.
The Shop fox is fine if you are going to leave the item in place MOST of the time. I have had returns based on miss drilled, tapped holes, & stripped bolts. You have to reach down and turn a handle to raise and lower the unit.

P.S. get Alan to build one, his is beautiful!

rhett

New User
rhett
These are the ultra nice casters that are on my drum sander. I would have put them on my new saw if it hadn't came with the delta base. Four wheel indepented movement and you can level them when you park your machine. I believe they would worth the extra $.

Attachments

• zambus.jpg
    zambus.jpg
    180.2 KB · Views: 168

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
hey roger. I agonized over this very same thing a couple years back and this was my solution. to h#$$ with mobility. I dedicated a space for the saw and made everything else mobil.:eusa_clap never looked back! with a 400 pound saw and all that extention stuff it looked to me like a royal PITA to move it all around anyway. YMMV of coarse. your saw will stay tuned longer and if it could talk it would probly thank you for not shovin it all over the place anyway!:rolf:

of coarse this is my oppinion and you gits what ya pays 4.8-O

fred

sapwood

New User
Roger
. . . . . .
P.S. get Alan to build one, his is beautiful!

Now I'm worried. Your wife is expecting and . . . . well, I'm not going there :lol:

But thanks for the responses folks. Nothing beats getting comments from those whose experience and knowledge I respect :)

I've decided to go with this:
138-371.jpg

An extra pair of casters will be attached near saw base and I hope to add some storage space under the extension table. I planned on picking it up after the MWTCA meet, but alas, WWS was out. :BangHead: However, it will be shipped to my house, probably by Thursday :eusa_pray

Roger (who really likes the Unifence :mrgreen:)

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Exactly the set I put under the 22124 last month Roger.

They have so far worked like champ! I am sure that you too will like 'em.

Wayne

Travis

New User
Travis
Roger,

Where did you get those "what -u-ma-call-its". I would like to put them on the router station that I am building.

Travis

chris99z71

New User
Chris
I think that he got it here...but I'm guessing that he ordered it in person at the store. And FWIW, I can't find it cheaper anywere.

sapwood

New User
Roger
Yeah, that's it . . . Woodworkers Supply in Graham. You might be able to find a better price, but I have earned some WWS "credits" plus the "Pro" pricing subtracted another 6%. Some of the sales folks there are knowledgeable and frank. One has a similar tablesaw setup and this has worked well for him (after adding extra caster support). Apparently the HTC universal base is junk. My personal examination verfies that. However, like Tom said, the three-wheel HTC bases are fine.

Chris, the link shows 172 in stock 8-O Apparently they were all in the New Mexico warehouse :lol: Anyway, it ships for free!

Roger

sapwood

New User
Roger
hey roger. I agonized over this very same thing a couple years back and this was my solution. to h#$$ with mobility. I dedicated a space for the saw and made everything else mobil.:eusa_clap never looked back! with a 400 pound saw and all that extention stuff it looked to me like a royal PITA to move it all around anyway. YMMV of coarse. your saw will stay tuned longer and if it could talk it would probly thank you for not shovin it all over the place anyway!:rolf:

of coarse this is my oppinion and you gits what ya pays 4.8-O

fred

Fred, I agree. The mobile base will result in more "tune-up" that is a PITA and the saw really doesn't want to move about. But shop size forces me to move the tablesaw to cut 4' sheet material :BangHead: Hmmm, I could have saved enough on mobile bases to build a bigger shop :oops:

Roger

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Fred, I agree. The mobile base will result in more "tune-up" that is a PITA and the saw really doesn't want to move about. But shop size forces me to move the tablesaw to [STRIKE]cut 4' sheet material [/STRIKE] (breathe, ha ha :lol: ):BangHead: Hmmm, I could have saved enough on mobile bases to build a bigger shop :oops:

Roger

Sorry I couldn't resist :lol: :lol:

Dave:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS