Mobile Base for Drill Press

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Do any of you guys use a mobile base for your floor model drill press? If so could you post a photo and provide brand, source, costs, etc. And is the drill press stable on the mobile base?

I haven't been able to get my room stretcher working, so I have got most of my power tools on a mobile base so I can move them if need be.

Thanks,

Dolan

Last edited:

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I would be interested in this as well. I have always kind of felt like it would be top heavy and risky of tipping on wheels, but that could be just my paranoia kicking in.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
I have all my floor model power tools on mobile bases. My Craftsman Drill press is very stable with the Universal Mobile Base Part# 145488 @ $59.99 from Woodcraft. Currently I have my Drill Press, Table Saw, Bandsaw, Jointer, and have two in stock for my Radial Arm Saw and soon to be mounted Drum Sander. I will take pictures of them this weekend and post them. But I have stood by this base ever since I put my Table Saw on it. Terry

Here is the photo I took of my Drill Press Mobile Base. Other Power tools are in the Photo Gallery. Terry

Last edited:

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
I second Terry's choice mobility. This base is exrtremely stable and strong. Nothing else comes close in its price range.

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
I third the the choice.

DrillPress.jpg

Splinter

New User
Dolan Brown
Steve,

Is your DP bolted to the base? I think I see two bolt heads in the photo, but not sure. Is your mobile base the same one that Terry spoke of? Does it swivel?

Thanks guys,

Dolan

woodworker2000

Christopher
Corporate Member
I put my drill press (Shop Fox 20") on a Shop Fox mobile base. The base of the drill press has a hole in each corner for bolting the drill press to the floor. I was concerned about it being top heavy and tipping when I moved it so I drilled holes into the mobile base (using the holes in the base of the drill press as a guide) and used hex bolts to secure the drill press to the mobile base. I did orient the drill press so that the casters on the mobile base were in the front and the rear of the drill press (as opposed to being on the side)....the directions I push/pull it. Seems to be pretty stable.

I like the Shop Fox mobile bases better than the "make your own" kind. I think they are sturdier and easier to assemble. Also, unlike the mobile base in Steve's pic, my mobile base is only as large as the base of the drill press. If I remember correctly, I paid about the same for the Shop Fox mobile base as Woodcraft charges for its "make your own" kit (bought mine from Bibb Tool and Cutter). You factor in the wood needed for the Woodcraft base (as well as your time) and I think you are better off buying one already made. Just my $.02.

DSC004531.JPG

Last edited:

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
made this one with some steel i found in the shop. ill find out what tool they belong with someday!:-D some roller blade wheels and a wood box. works ok but is a little cumbersome if you have to move it a lot. tilt the drillpress forward and roll it.

fred

Attachments

• IMG_5785.jpg
    IMG_5785.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 331

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Steve,

Is your drillpress bolted to the base? I think I see two bolt heads in the photo, but not sure. Is your mobile base the same one that Terry spoke of? Does it swivel?

Thanks guys,

Dolan
Yes it is bolted. Yes it swivels. And I think that was what Terry was talking about, but I'm not sure

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Yes it is bolted. Yes it swivels. And I think that was what Terry was talking about, but I'm not sure

Yes Steve it was what I was talking about. I put double 3/4" plywood on mine because the drill is very heavy and I was afraid that it might have bowed the ply. I bolted it just like you did and I have no trouble moving- swinging it. But I stand by this type Base. Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors