Moak Jointer Refurb Progress Report

Status
Not open for further replies.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Well, I'm back to working on the jointer full time during the week. I've got the jointer stripped down pretty good. I'ver removed the hand brake on the front and am all the way down to the bearing blocks, head, and motor with mount. I've unhooked all the electrical and have about 90% of the casting cleaned up. I even took the motor apart as far as I can get right now and cleaned it out. It was filled with sawdust too, but everything looks in good shape. I found one wire that was a little burnt in the starter due to damaged insulation, but it was very light. I'll probably use the original starter, but, did buy a new starter for it if I change my mine. The original is a very heavy duty AB magnetic starter. They don't make them like that any more.

I already have the infeed table and table support all primed and ready for painting.

I've got about 25% of the small parts run through electrolysis and cleaned up. I'm replacing all the fasteners and washer with stainless for a nice look. Boy that electrolysis can really make a difference. Check out the bevel gears for the infeed table.

I do have a few parts already primed and painted ready to be reattached. So what color did I choose for the jointer. Well, I didn't want a grey machine even though it was originally grey. Since it is my machine I chose to go with Ford blue. I'll paint some nice white pin stripes on the and paint the raised Moak letters white after the base is sprayed. I'm not sure I love the color, but I'm going with it.

I'll keep updating the thread as progress is made. I'm going to remove the front break plate and verify the shaft and bearing condition. The head spins extremely freely. More freely than my new machines. :)

Thanks,

John

Last edited:

Monty

New User
Monty
Hmmmm.... I don't know... looks like an awful lot of work. I think I'll just wait for the Shop Fox version to come out. :lol:

Lookin good, dude! :icon_thum

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Wow, nice work John.:icon_thum That Moak is going to look sharp and run like new once you get finished with the rehab.

D L

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Ahhhhh, brings back memories. :-D You are off to a great start and everything is looking good. I don't know about you but I got a great deal of satisfaction taking something that was nearly ready for the scrap pile and bringing it back to life. Great job John!

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
Hey John thanks for disassembling the jointer. That way it will be easy for Monty and I to come "borrow" when you take a water break!

Looking good though.

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Looking good John. Big difference from when I saw it just a few weeks ago. This thing is absolutely huge, the pictures really don't do the size of this machine justice. It's going to be a fine machine when you're all done with it.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Steve D said:
Ahhhhh, brings back memories. :-D You are off to a great start and everything is looking good. I don't know about you but I got a great deal of satisfaction taking something that was nearly ready for the scrap pile and bringing it back to life. Great job John!

It is a lot of fun, but very dirty. My wife is making me go through the shop to use my shop sink to clean up before entering the house. I've wore out a few wire wheels. :)

T

toolferone

I really like how well the electrolysis worked! Looking good John.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Reassembly pics

Here are a couple pics of the jointer just after reassembly. I've still got to clean up the blade guard and fence, but it is starting to look pretty good. :)

Tomorrow I'll start installing the knives and install the new starter. :) I was sure about the color when I started, but I like it. :) BTW, I'm keeping this jointer if it works well and am actually going to save some money!!!!!!!! Can you believe that????

Thanks,

John

Monty

New User
Monty
Re: Reassembly pics

Thanks. I needed a good excuse to update my sig line! :icon_thum

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Looking good John.. Real good. I can't wait to see this beast up and running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS