MJ splitter

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelis

New User
weelis
I have this splitter which has four thickness options to prevent kickback. How do I determine which thickness I should use? No instructions came with it.I have the unifence which is o0ffset 3/1000ths. Suggestions? Thnx.

Danagawa

New User
D
I have been looking at a shark guard splitter. On their site that say that use should use a splitter just a little thinner than the kerf.

weelis

New User
weelis
I am not talking about the thickness. The splitters hexert different amounts of pressure against the keeper board and thar is the question I have. How much pressure is needed?

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I have been looking at a shark guard splitter. On their site that say that use should use a splitter just a little thinner than the kerf.

That makes sense to me. If the splitter is exactly the same thickness as the kerf, then you will have to align the splitter and blade *perfectly* to prevent the splitter from trying to push the wood to one side or another as you feed the board through the blade and past the splitter. I would expect them to be pretty close though. It does seem that if the splitter is too narrow, then it won't really stop a board from pinching the back of the blade and therefore won't prevent kickback.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
It is not a question of pressure - it is all about spacing.

http://www.microjig.com/products/mj-splitter/

It is about pressure. This is a quote from the link you provided:

Get precise and virtually burn-free results with the MJ SPLITTER’s mini featherboard effect. Works while cutting materials such as MDF and plywood. Each side of the splitter is offset by several thousandths of an inch, giving you the the right amount of tolerance and pressure for your cut. Flip the splitter around so the + marking faces the fence to get the correct offset. Each + marking represents 0.003″, so +++ equals 0.009″. Precision and safety does come in small packages.

Jeremy Scuteri

Jeremy
I am not talking about the thickness. The splitters hexert different amounts of pressure against the keeper board and thar is the question I have. How much pressure is needed?

I would treat this the same as setting up a feather board which is what one of the two splitters is acting as. You want as much pressure as possible, while still being able to feed the board easily. I would set it up by feel.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I would set it even with the blade or just a hair shy on both sides. (I agree with chris_goris) If you offset it toward the fence, it most likely will work fine for cuts using the fence, but may cause problems with a miter gauge cut. Or, you can reset it for miter cuts, as long as you don't forget how you have it set.

Go

MrBC

New User
Bob
I have to give a +1 for the Shark Guard. I have one and it's a high quality product. Each one is custom designed for the saw (see the list of saws on the website), so there are variations in features. Mine came with 3 sizes of splitters (S,M,L) and when you order you can specify the splitter thickness based on if you'll be using standard kerf blades or thin. Lee lists what the thickness of the thin kerfs are.... FYI.

Rwe2156

DrBob
Senior User
Not its not for blade thickness its to dial in the pressure against the fence.

Its a trial and error thing. You run some wood both ways which ever feels best use that.

It should explain it in the instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors