Miter Saw table

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of putting together a miter saw work station that will have a 72 inch top. I want to build supports and fences the length of the table. The saw will cut 45 degrees left and right.

My question is should I mount the saw in the middle of the station with supports and fences on both sides or should I mount the saw on one end giving me a much longer support and fence for better support on longer material.

I hope I've made myself clear.

Larry Tysinger

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I think I would put it in the middle and build a couple stands for extra long support if I needed it.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I'd put it in the middle as well. Support on both sides is important. Breaking out the saw horses, roller stand, circular saw etc. for the occasional really long board - preferable to always messing with cutoffs that are 2' - 3' in length.

Dcoop

New User
David
I also vote for the middle. If you have a radial arm saw you could put in next to the miter saw and have a "extra" support for the long wood.
Dave

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
I also vote for the middle. If you have a radial arm saw you could put in next to the miter saw and have a "extra" support for the long wood.
Dave
See if you can get a copy of the NYW Miter Saw Station video. Well worth looking into before building a MS station. It includes a stop for RAS in MS station.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
I too would vote for the middle - all of the ones that I have used with a table they where in the middle and if we had to have extra support then we would roll out the roller stand

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
Depends. Will there be space open on either side? If yes, then I would put it to one side so I could put a fence on it with a tape measure and stops to do cuts up to 5 foot.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Guess I am again going against the flow. With only a 6' table, I would put the majority of the table to the left of the saw (If you are right handed). I rarely put the bulk of the board on the right side, and usually want the keeper piece on the left where I can see the cut line easier (most saw motors are on the right, obstructing view).If in the center, neither side will be enough to support a 6' board (standard cabinet or full bookshelf height) by itself without additional support. With it 4' left and 2' right of blade, it will handle most drop on the right, and give added length to the left for most cuts on an 8' board. If you will have room on the right to put a fold-up extension of 12"+, I would put the blade at 54" from left and 18" from right.

Go

The exception to the above is if you do a lot of molding with compound miters, and the saw only bevels in one direction. In that case, you need length on both sides or need to get really good at figuring compound angles.

Travis Porter

Travis
Corporate Member
I agree with you. I have my CMS set up that way albeit in a larger configuration (8.5 foot on left 3 foot on right).

Guess I am again going against the flow. With only a 6' table, I would put the majority of the table to the left of the saw (If you are right handed). I rarely put the bulk of the board on the right side, and usually want the keeper piece on the left where I can see the cut line easier (most saw motors are on the right, obstructing view).If in the center, neither side will be enough to support a 6' board (standard cabinet or full bookshelf height) by itself without additional support. With it 4' left and 2' right of blade, it will handle most drop on the right, and give added length to the left for most cuts on an 8' board. If you will have room on the right to put a fold-up extension of 12"+, I would put the blade at 54" from left and 18" from right.

Go

The exception to the above is if you do a lot of molding with compound miters, and the saw only bevels in one direction. In that case, you need length on both sides or need to get really good at figuring compound angles.

wilkesland

New User
Barry Arney
I also have my miter saw set up with the majority to the left. For the relatively rare occasion that I want to cut a board with the majority to the right, I have a slide out support ( 4' section of black iron pipe with a block on the end) to provide the support needed. I've been using this setup for more than a year with no regrets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors