Miter saw station help

Status
Not open for further replies.

ss600r

New User
Steve
I am redoing m miter saw station to move it and make more usable space underneath. I plan on putting my jointer under it. If I remove the fence it stands at 33" with the mobile base. With the fence and upper handle I would have a really tall station. Anyone see any issues with just removing the fence and putting it on as needed? I dont see myself using it often enough for this to be a hassle for me and I could really use the space.

Mike Camp

New User
Mike
I am redoing m miter saw station to move it and make more usable space underneath. I plan on putting my jointer under it. If I remove the fence it stands at 33" with the mobile base. With the fence and upper handle I would have a really tall station. Anyone see any issues with just removing the fence and putting it on as needed? I dont see myself using it often enough for this to be a hassle for me and I could really use the space.

The only issue you might have with a taller miter saw station is you can't use a roller stand for an assist with other really long boards. But most roller stands go up to around 42" so you should be all right. My miter saw station is about 39" tall to the top of the miter saw base and I love the height.

ChrisB

New User
Chris
Hi Steve,

I use my jointer fairly often so this wouldn't work for me but if you don't plan on using it much I don't see a problem with your plan as long as you check for square each time you reattach the fence.

I am in the process of building a miter saw station along a 16' wall in my garage shop and intentionally made the work surface high, about 42" to the top of the saw table. I'm about 6' 1" and as I age my back bothers me if I bend over too much so the height should work well for me and I can always shorten it if necessary since the cabinets are sitting on 2x bases. I've included cabinets with drawers and shelves for cutoffs under the work surface but I've seen other arrangements where folks store lumber on racks underneath or have rolling work stations that are parked there when not in use. In my case, I just needed the storage and work surface area more than the floor space.

HTH

Chris

ss600r

New User
Steve
I think I will bump the saw up some and see how the extra height may work out. I would rather use the are for storage but need the floor space just as bad. If only I could convince the wife she really doesnt need her half of the garage lol.

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
Might even be a good thing, if you store the fence shiny side down on something flat and smooth like MDF. Just make sure the MDF is and stays clean. Clear plastic or even an old piece of cloth and brush off the surface before storing the fence...+

Joe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS