Miter saw station carcass layout

Status
Not open for further replies.

photostu

New User
Stuart
I'm building my first mitre saw station, wanted to post this design to see if my carcass design is ok. Mainly the stringer config, is this enough?
This is being placed upon an existing base, which is inset enough to provide a toe-kick area.

carcass.jpg

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
I don't see any stringers to prevent it collapsing to the side. Are you planning on putting a full panel on the back? If not, I would run a stringer along the back so that the top of it would also support the back of the miter saw platform, as well as one down at the bottom. Also not sure how you plan to attach it to the base.

Go

photostu

New User
Stuart
There is a stringer on the bottom of the backside, not sure if you could see that. The only spot missing would be the bottom front, was thinking the drawers would suffice to keep it all stable.

allisnut

Adam
Corporate Member
I would consider a solid back and top to reduce sawdust intrusion into the storage space.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
There is a stringer on the bottom of the backside, not sure if you could see that. The only spot missing would be the bottom front, was thinking the drawers would suffice to keep it all stable.

Drawers will not stabilize it. By virtue of them being loose enough to move in and out, there will be too much play. If you are planning on a face frame, then the rails on it will help stabilize the front.

Go

photostu

New User
Stuart
Thanks guys, I think I will certainly incorporate a thin backer board and build a face frame. A top was always in the works, just didn't put on the sketchup so you could see the internals.

Skymaster

New User
Jack
Sttringers front and rear, solid back. drawer slides on stringers, second set of drawers, more stringers , repeat. to make EZ when you decide what size openings for drawers, make a set of 4 gage strips for that dimension, lay stringers on them, attach, repeat.

photostu

New User
Stuart
Updated carcass, now with colors, LOL!
Added another stringer so all four corners are supported.
Added backer 1/4 board to close out each cabinet.
carcass.jpg

JohnnyR

John
Corporate Member
make sure the shelf for the miter saw is shimable or adjustable for this or any new saw.

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks like you will have plenty of room breaking down long stock. I'm not sure what work you'll likely be doing but have you considered about supporting long lengths out the right side?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors