Miter Saw Stand Build/upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Hey all! Been awhile since Ive posted, but here goes. This post will be continously updated till project is complete.

This is my first major project in a looooong time, and Im very exctited bout it.

First, the old: See pics below (hint: Think Black and Decker, LOL)

This miter saw stand was one of my earliest projects and its painfully obvious. I used alot of scraps, pine and ply as well as mdf. Functional but not aesthetically pleasing.

I recently snagged some nice mdf (see found hot deals) and some angle iron, and decided to build something nicer.

There are basically 3 major sections : Frame, Top and Sides.

First the Frame: I used 3/4 in angle iron. Dimensions are 18in X18inX29 3/4 in. Since this is basically a woodworking stand, Im not going to detail its construction, except to say its welded. Miter Table 002.JPGMiter Table 005.JPGMiter Table 009.JPG Miter Table 010.JPG I also used 17 ga steel for the base feet (to support 4in double locking casters.

After welding, priming and painting (black) I next started on the Top.

The dimensions used were similiar to the old top. 20in X 26in X 1 1/4 in thick with white laminate and black edgebanding.
Miter Table 011.JPG Miter Table 012.JPG Miter Table 014.JPG Miter Table 016.JPG After double laminating the two pieces of mdf, I next applied contact cement to the laminate bottom and mdf top (make sure to leave approx 1/16 or so overage on all sides). After glue dried, I then used laminate router to clean up the edges. As a side note, these were laminate pieces, so consequently, I did not have a full sheet, so as you can see in pic there is a seam. This seam was strategically placed where it will line up along the table and wont be to obvious.

Next, I then set up the table saw to cut a kerf in the center of the top ( 1/4 in deep , 1/8th in wide, blade width).

After that, insert edgebanding into kerf and tap with a hammer. If done correctly, usually no glue needed.

So far, Ive got about 9 hrs into this. I now need to complete the sides.

For the sides, I plan to use a mdf panel with white peg board on 3 sides. There may be a drawer and open bottom section for storage.

See you with next and completed sides.

Thanks for looking

Splint
Miter Table 013.JPGMiter Table 014.JPGMiter Table 014.JPGMiter Table 012.JPG

Attachments

• MDF 001.JPG
    MDF 001.JPG
    263.8 KB · Views: 62
  • Miter Table 001.JPG
    Miter Table 001.JPG
    266.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Miter Table 003.JPG
    Miter Table 003.JPG
    268.4 KB · Views: 69
  • Miter Table 006.JPG
    Miter Table 006.JPG
    266.3 KB · Views: 71
  • Miter Table 007.JPG
    Miter Table 007.JPG
    266.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Miter Table 008.JPG
    Miter Table 008.JPG
    265.4 KB · Views: 74
  • Miter Table 015.JPG
    Miter Table 015.JPG
    260.9 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Welcome back Matt!!!

Sure is some nice work you got going on there. With all that iron and MDF, its going to heavy and stable! :eusa_clap

Looking forward to the next update.

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Wayne, Joe, Scott, thanks for the warm returns! Its much appreciated.

Now for day 3. Started by testing stand with wheels and a dummy load to make sure it would hold up. And low and behold:
Miter_001.JPG

A broken weld on one of the wheel pads. Errrr!!! A quick check of the other 3 showed some flawed welding ( Since this is only my 3rd welding project, I dont feel too bad, but.....). Better now than with expensive tool spinning at 3500 rpm, etc......
So, after a 2 hour rework (rewelding this and the other 2 wheels/ reprime and paint) we have this:
Miter_002.JPG

Retested with wheels and dummy load, solid as a rock!
Miter_003.JPG

Now back to doing the Frame and Panels (3) !
Thanks again for your warm regards and comments!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Scott, since this post I have received over 50 prepaid orders :rotflm:, So yours will be on back order til 2018, LOL

Finished panels. Nothing fancy, just MDF and Pegboard (18in X 26in). I did however, throw on an "Earl Scheib" paint job. Mixing some blue, green, and white water based enamel.
Miter_004.JPG

Miter_0031.JPG

Miter_0021.JPG

My next step is a drawer build out. Trying to decide on its construction. Wood slides, Euro or Ball Bearing.
I also forgot to mention Part Four: Optional Accessories. As the saying goes, its not the tool, its the accessories that will kill you! I plan on adding one or two, TBD!

Be back Soon

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Day 4: Upon starting design of drawer, I realized what was needed next was to reattach the roller work support underneath the table.

First some background. Way back when, I purchased (I think through Woodcraft, a HTC Drill press roller support for my Drill press) Miter 007.JPG

It works fine for extended piece drilling, but I began to wonder, hmm....why only one use, why not expand its utlity to say....my miter saw ? So, I fabricated this: Miter 006.JPG I welded 2, 1 1/4 in square tubing with holes together with a 1/4 twenty nut placed at each end, which would support the 2 roller pieces. Together with some 1 1/4 Ubolts attached to the table top.

001.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG 009.JPG
008.JPGAdd on Custom fence, which features shop made dual flip stops and hold down ( using wood and 1/4 twenty hardware).

Im 95% there! A drawer no seems truly optional (any Opinions?).

I have the Form and Function I was looking for. It really works great, and fits (as hoped for) better in my small Gar Shop! Im very happy.

Now about that drawer.......hmmm.....:confused:

Thanks in advance for any suggestions , comments

Matt

Oh, I almost forgot some additional info re: Cost

The materials used were 22 ft of angle iron @ $1.25 per ft. $27.50
Approx 2 1/2 boards of MDF @ 2 per 5.00
1 2 X 4 sheet of Peg Board 7.00
Hardware (12 nuts and bolts for wheels and Ubolts) 7.00

The other items, wheels, worksupport, laminate, etc... were in the shop (scraps, etc) from previous projects.

So out of pocket for this comes to approx $46.50 give or take, Call it $50.

With the addition of a drawer ( slides, this could be a budget buster, lol).

Workshop time was approx 17 hours, with most of that due to Stand fabrication and rework.

Allotta fun, and well worth it!

Thanks Again,

Matt

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
If this was a router stand I would add a draw or even two for sure. For a miter saw not so much. What would you put in the draw beyond a pencil, tape measure, and a maybe a wrench?

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
If this was a router stand I would add a draw or even two for sure. For a miter saw not so much. What would you put in the draw beyond a pencil, tape measure, and a maybe a wrench?

Scott, I agree with 100%. Probably the only reason to include is for aesthetics. Or.....like clamps, you can never have too much storage space :)

Anyone else with thoughts?

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
I think I would go for drawer route.:icon_thum You can never have enough places to hide stuff!
:wwink:
(As a matter of fact this past winter I had nothing going on so I built a drawer box for a shelf under my open stand bandsaw. Now I have a place to hide C-clamps etc. as opposed to using it as a cutoff catchall shelf.)

Wayne

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
I think I would go for drawer route.:icon_thum You can never have enough places to hide stuff!
:wwink:
(As a matter of fact this past winter I had nothing going on so I built a drawer box for a shelf under my open stand bandsaw. Now I have a place to hide C-clamps etc. as opposed to using it as a cutoff catchall shelf.)

Wayne

Wayne, yes, I also agree with you. It's certainly a "6 of one" decision. But, after much angst:roll:, I've decided to go with the drawer.

The main reason: My Itch to build something, has not been scratched. Because its been so long between projects, I guess Im trying to make up for lost time. So, its off to H. D. to get a pair of drawer slides.

I will post pics of completed drawer build out some time today!

Thanks again for all your thoughts and advice!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Memories of drawer construction were certainly dim. Forgot how labor intensive they are.

Its all about Geometry. Very critical that all is straight and level relative to each side.

Ive learned that any small mistake ( not level, misdrilled holes, etc....) will cause drawers not to work properly. DAMHIKT :eek:

This is currently how I make them (anyone with better info, would be greatly appreciated).

I chose the Euro slide ( due to price at $5 and load rating) I dont expect to keep heavy items so it made economic sense to get these.

Started on the left side using Kreg drawer jig and a 6 in level.

Miter_Drawer_001.JPG

I use a self centered #5 drill bit to get the exact starting hole.
Miter_Drawer_002.JPG

Miter_Drawer_003.JPG

Miter_Drawer_003.JPG

After attaching screws, I check for level (doing this alot!)

Miter_Drawer_004.JPG

Repeat on Right side, except, check for level relative to the left slide.

Miter_Drawer_005.JPG

Once the right side is level relative to the right. Repeat self centered holes and screw down.

Miter_Drawer_009.JPG

I then attach both the right and left drawer slides to drawer side. Now clamp to the attached slides and measure the inside width.

Miter_Drawer_008.JPG

The inside width is 15 3/8 ths. I then add 1/2 inch to this measurement ( for bottom drawer size with 1/4 in dado).
I next measure the thickness of the drawer bottom (for dadoing)

Miter_Drawer_022.JPG

I then assemble using only screws and check for fit
Miter_Drawer_019.JPG

When ok, then dado the all 4 insides.
Check for level.
Miter_Drawer_025.JPG

Miter_Drawer_023.JPG

Laminate face and sides.
Miter_Drawer_023.JPG

Attach handle, any other hardware to face, then attache to drawer
Miter_Drawer_027.JPG

Miter_Drawer_028.JPG

Make any micro adjustments to square up face to drawer and to frame.
Miter_Drawer_028.JPG

And if all goes well, we have a nice smooth rolling, level drawer!

Thats all for now, I will next be adding more metal accessories which will help with cord & hose management (inspired by Festool)!

Thanks for Looking!

Please if you have any clues, hints, etc.... please post!

Last edited:

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Great play by play. How does it feel to be back in the game? What's next?

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Great play by play. How does it feel to be back in the game? What's next?

Scott, thanks!:icon_thum

Not sure if I was being too verbose!

Feels great to work on a project again, not sure what's next. One of the reasons I've been offline, is due to me playing around with metal working. Picked up a couple of tools at Harbor Freight ( metal benders) and have been trying to learn this.

As a matter of fact, I will be posting soon, the metal accessories made from these tools.

Not sure what's next, I most certainly will be incorporating more mixed media ( metal, plastic, etc....) with my wood projects!

Sure has been fun!

Splint Eastwood

New User
Matt
Now for the final step. Adding on extras / accessories !

I mentioned in previous post how I was inspired by Festool's igenious engineering. On their Dust Collectors ( the CT series) there's an optional fixture called the Boom Arm. This arm incorporates metal rod shaped to hold various various tools (sander, etc....) as well as hose management.

One of the issues with having all my tools on wheels, is the wheels getting stopped by hose, elec cords, and any debris on ground. Very Frustrating.

So, Inspired by Festool I did this:

I took a 3 ft 5/16th metal rod and shaped it to form a hose and electrical cord support.
Miter_Accessories_001.JPG

I also threaded them using a Tap and Die set​

Miter_Accessories_002.JPG

Using a Harbor Freight Compact Metal Bender​

Miter_Accessories_003.JPG

I started to use a Brass 5/16th threaded insert, but found it was not secure enough in MDF,​

Miter_Accessories_004.JPG

So, I switched to a Coupling Nut (which has a longer profile and thus more secure)

Miter_Accessories_005.JPG

Miter_Accessories_06.JPG

Miter_Accessories_005.JPG

Miter_Accessories_007.JPG

Miter_Accessories_009.JPG

I also added a bottom shelf lip and fabricated a shelf tray to hold pencil, paper and tape measure

Miter_Accessories_008.JPG

Its a not too good first attempt, but will act as a "place holder" til I can find Stainless Steel and get better at making.

Miter_Accessories_010.JPG

Well that's it for now!
Thanks for looking and comments!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS