Miter saw dust collection

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I finally got the dust collection done for my miter saw. Well, almost. But the hard part is done.

When I ran the duct work in my shop originally, I created a separate branch for the future miter saw station. That was about 8 years ago. I know, pretty quick, right! So this is what I started with.

I added a blast gate and ran a new piece of pipe through the back of the workbench. All in all this was an extremely tight fit. It looks great in the end, but it's not recommended. Nothing is more frustrating than working in a tight spot where you can't even fit a regular screwdriver.

Behind the miter saw is a large opening with a dust chute.

I have a crimping tool for metal duct work, which made that connection fairly easy. Getting the hose around the PVC pipe was more difficult. I ended up kerfing the pipe, putting two band clamps around it, and then heating the pipe and tightening the clamps as the material softened.

Between the vacuum cleaner and the dust collector, it sucks up most of the dust. I built a simple box to further contain the mess. The only piece left is to enclose the front some more, leaving of course room for the saw to move/ turn sideways for miter cuts

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
What about an angled "baffle" from the top front to the "mid-back" to "guide" the dust toward the vent?

Bear Republic

Steve
Corporate Member
Looks great! good job. Nothing like a few years of planning to make it perfect. For the front cover, you might mock it up with cardboard and have a layered approach and lock in all the dust.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
What about an angled "baffle" from the top front to the "mid-back" to "guide" the dust toward the vent?
I may still do that. It all depends on how much sawdust builds up in the corners, and whether that's a problem. Should be something easy to add on afterward. I do want to keep the box somewhat simple so it's easy to remove.

Looks great! good job. Nothing like a few years of planning to make it perfect. For the front cover, you might mock it up with cardboard and have a layered approach and lock in all the dust.
That's the plan. I'll make a template out of some cardboard until I've got it the way I want it, then cut the final front out of some 1/4" plywood. I think the easiest way to hold the pieces is with some very small rare earth magnets. Quick access without screws and plenty strong.

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Looks good. I hope to have something similar before too long. My CMS has a dust port which I also hope to hook up.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Quick update. I cut a BUNCH of oak pieces this weekend, and the new dust collection worked like a champ. Between the vac attachment and shroud, it easily got 95% of the dust. Vast vast improvement over my old setup.

I also made a couple of stop blocks for the T-track. It's pretty crude, but the cursor can be adjusted by about 1/16" to account for different blade widths. The two "ribs" help keep the block square. Eventually I plan to 3D print these and make them a little nicer.

Now I just need to figure out how to use the T-track when cutting small pieces (<17"). Right now I'm using the clamp-the-block-to-the-fence approach, ideally would like something I can lock in on the T-track and then slide toward the saw for adjustment. Simpler would be to just get a really long stop block, but why not over-engineer when you can?

JimD

Jim
Senior User
Bas,

It looks like your track is flush with your counter top. If so, you should check out Ron Paulk's flip stop design:

I use them on my countertop where my CMS and RAS reside. They work well.

• Thanks
Reactions: Bas

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors