Miter Saw Dust Collection

Status
Not open for further replies.

stal023

New User
Stal
What is the best way for me to collect the dust out of my miter saw? The port is small, smaller than my Shop Vac and certainly smaller than the 4" DC hose. Buy an adapter? Keep the shop vac for it or connect it to the DC? (The DC goes from machine to machine currently). Thanks in advance.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Stal, I've struggled w/ this issue for awhile now. All I can tell you right now is what doesn't work. I have a branch off my DC duct work that comes down from the top, in back of my miter saw. The dust falls into a large, enclosed cavity but does not get picked up by the overhead DC. So my first advice would be to have the DC come up from the bottom.

Second advice would be to find, or make, an adapter to attach directly to the dust shoot from the saw. The closer you can catch it to the source, the more you will collect. If you have a spare shop vac, this would probably work as well, if not better than, a multi-machine DC system.

And if you find the right answer, please post it here so the rest of us can fix our never ending problem. :)

BCS074.JPG

nn4jw

New User
Jim
If you google "miter saw dust collection" you'll see images showing all kinds of hood arrangements for miter saws. At the moment I don't have a hood and use the dust collection port. It only sort of works. A fair amount of saw dust misses the collector inlet on the saw. The problem is that the saw sprays sawdust in a pattern larger than the inlet and that saw dust just doesn't get vacuumed. So, it doesn't really matter how you hook up your dust collection system to the saw's port, it's still going to miss a fair amount of the dust. A hood of some type is on my to do list.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Years ago, Photog had a thread over at woodnet showing how he used a "big gulp" to handle DC at miter saw. I don't know if thread is still available, but that's how I did mine Works pretty good.

walnutjerry

Jerry
Senior User
What is the best way for me to collect the dust out of my miter saw? The port is small, smaller than my Shop Vac and certainly smaller than the 4" DC hose. Buy an adapter? Keep the shop vac for it or connect it to the DC? (The DC goes from machine to machine currently). Thanks in advance.

Although it is not connected to a "dust collection system" I use a method that catches the dust and lets me move my portable miter saw cabinet anywhere in the shop. Just attach an old pair of panty hose to the exhaust port of the saw. Laugh if you will but it works.

Jerry

Joe Scharle

New User
Joe
This is no more than 80% effective, but does help. Just half roll a cardboard ear and shove it up the dust chute behind the blade. Vac hose on the other end of the chute, They get chewed up, but are way cheep! Now to see if this picture thang is working! To see the cardboard collector better, click on the pic until a + shows up.
End Table (7).jpg

Last edited:

golfdad

Co-director of Outreach
Dirk
Corporate Member
I tried lots of ways including building a cabinet. I finally hooked a 2 1/2 in hose from saw to a shop Vac. Seems to work as well as anything I have tried

JimD

Jim
Senior User
In my old shop I had a 4 inch DC line to the radial arm and CMS. There was a chute that both discharged into that got the 4 inch line which also branched out to a smaller line hooked to the dust port on the blade guard. It got some of the dust. Didn't work great. I plan to try my shop vac which now has a cyclone on it when I get my new shop up and running.

dino drosas

Dino
Corporate Member
Guess you will just have to get a Festool Kapex miter saw. Thank you NC Woodworker spring raffle for mine - first thing I ever won. The dust collection is absolutely amazing; almost 100%. Pretty much the case with all of their tools.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS