Miter saw dust collection hood

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Finally got around to doing something about dust collection for my Dewalt 12" SCMS. I had been using the Big Red dust hood from PSI. It works great for 90 degree cuts or for smaller miter and bevel cuts. I just don't have enough room behind my miter saw tables to move the Big Red into position for high angle cuts.

I threw this together over the last couple of evenings. This is meant to be a prototype, although it may end up be a loooooong time before I decide to make a more permanent version. I had a bunch of 7/16" hard board (masonite) left over from another project, so I used that to build the box. The curtain in the front is from a piece of rubber I had laying around.

I didn't think to get any in process picks, but here is what it looks like.
I used this piece from Amazon for the connection to the 6" dust hose. You can't really see it to well in the pictures.
41fWSQMV7AL.jpg

So, here is the finished prototype:

Hose connection from underneath And the box If (I mean when) I get around to making something more permanent, I will probably drop the bottom down several inches and put in some side ramps to angle the airflow towards the collection port. It does a good job getting most of the dust and the curtain helps block any blow back, but some of the dust collects in the corners. Guess I'll have to sweep that into the collector from time to time.

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Just realized I didn't get any pictures of the inside of the box. I'll have to do that tomorrow.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Very cool Mark. I like the curtain concept, that certainly solves a lot of the headaches when switching from straight to angled cuts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS