Mission Style Settle Design

Mark Johnson

Mark
Corporate Member
I'm am trying to find a set of plans for a Mission Style/Arts & Crafts two person sized settle (couch). Preferably something like a Morris chair design (back taller than the arms). Any ideas of where to look for such? I am ok with modifying a set of plans, but would rather not just start with a blank sheet of paper this time.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Although neither of them satisfy the requirement for a higher back than the arms, Kevin Rodel's Prairie Settle popped into my head and I see Berta's got you covered on that. The other one is a Roycroft settle. I modeled it based on the real thing. It could be shortened to make it a two-holer and plans could be developed. I even found the source for the original fabric.

I suppose a Morris chair could be modified to make a two person settle. I did that sort of thing once for an Adirondack chair for someone.

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I used a combination of the Fine Woodworking plan and one from somewhere else - need to look for my thread on it. There are also pictures of the build in my gallery if you're patient enough to scan through there - or is that even working lately. I'll search for the build thread - no time right now.

There are two threads about the sofa build. The first without the cushions and the latter with.

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=47399&highlight=prairie+settle

https://www.ncwoodworker.net/forums/showthread.php?t=48228&highlight=prairie+settle

Last edited:

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
I updated the previous post with links to the build thread for my Prairie Settle. I've since made a matching coffee table and end table. All the wood came from Scott Smith in New Hill.

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
I'm avoiding going out to blow snow. I dug up an old Morris chair model I did and did a little stretching to make a settle. The chair has a reclining back but for the settle, I brought it up a bit closer to vertical. I think you have a good idea in stretching one.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
I need a refresher about this "stretching" or resizing an existing model. I've seen you do it before so maybe you have a reference to cite.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS