Mineral oil on cutting board...does it ever stop seeping out?

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
I'm in the process of wiping them down with mineral spirits. I hope that works. I wouldn't say they were heavily oiled but it was left on the surface for about 5 minutes then wiped off. I've finished turned bowls with this same mineral oil with no issue. Go figure.

Red

Dave Richards

Dave
Senior User
Sorry. Off topic but the title of this reminds me of an old thing. How do you know when a radial engine is out of oil? It stops dripping. :D

DSWalker

David
Corporate Member
I made several cutting boards back before Christmas. Used cheap food grade mineral oil. First coat soaked in completely. 2nd, 3rd, 4th coats took a while to 'fully' absorb. But they all stayed dry after wiping off any excess.

Mine were made of mahogany, walnut, bloodwood, purpleheart, maple etc. The maple and purple heart seemed to be the worst on 'not absorbing'.

I still have 3-4 of them in the shop and occasionally add another coat. Still haven't seen any weeping back out.

Willemjm

Willem
Corporate Member
Weird. As another poster mentioned, I have also made many cutting boards over many years, all soaked with mineral oil. Never had it seep out. Most of them Cherry and Maple in the same boards. After a couple of weeks, they look as if they have a mat or flat finish, no fingerprints, no oily residue whatsoever when handled.

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
My cutting boards only have one coat. If you pick up the cutting board and set it down, you will see a shiny hand print. I wiped them down with mineral spirits so I will see if that helps.

Red

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Here's what I did. I ran all the cutting boards through the surface planer back down to bare wood, resanded and applied a new finish to me called Walrus Oil. I love this stuff. Easy to apply and it looks great. No bleeding or fingerprints!! Thanks.

Red

Jeff

New User
Jeff
It's still mineral oil but also has coconut oil and beeswax thrown in. Nonetheless, you're a happy camper now.

Here's what I did. I ran all the cutting boards through the surface planer back down to bare wood, resanded and applied a new finish to me called Walrus Oil. I love this stuff. Easy to apply and it looks great. No bleeding or fingerprints!! Thanks.

Red

red

Papa Red
Red
Senior User
Yes it is mineral oil based and I was a little hesitant to use it but glad I did. No bleeding and no fingerprints. Great stuff.

Red

Last edited:

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS