Miller Dowel System. Your thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryan S

Bryan
I would appreciate your thoughts on these, if you have used them how did you like them. I have been thinking about trying thes for some time and they look like their easy to use and seams to add a nice touch.

Details for Miller Dowel System - Rockler Woodworking Tools

Rockler still had a good selection of these dowels and drill bits left today, and at 40% off could you go wrong? I'm giving real thought to stopping back tomorrow before work. Thanks for your opinions

tonyps

New User
Tony
Evening,
My $.07 worth...I have been using these for the past year or so, and not had any problems..Last project I used them on was for a couple of small tables for the porch to go along with the adirondack chairs. It was a nice difference. It beats just using screws all the time or having to cut plugs to fill the holes from counter-sinking.

Best to all,

Tony ...

jglord

New User
John
I've also used Miller dowels on various projects and I feel they really help solve the problem of fastening into end grain. Putting a screw through one piece into the end grain of another board is asking for trouble. With the Miller Dowel, you get the grain running the length of the joint and the body of the dowel is glued into the other piece turning and end grain situation into edge to edge joint.
This a benefit in addition to all the others, e.g. looking good, going in without splitting the wood, and making a strong joint.
One thing the Miller Dowel people tell you is to drill and insert them after you have glued the joint and allowed the glue time to cure properly. I've usually disregarded this and glued and clamped the joint, then drilled and inserted the dowel. You should not try to drill first because you may not have the final alignment. Doing it all together seems to work fine.

michaelgarner

New User
Michael
I use the system for face frames, instead of using the traditional square pegs I throw one on each corner (sometimes contrasting wood) and it turns out great.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I also use the Miller Dowels and like them alot. They certainly don't replace everything else but are really handy in many applications. Very easy to install, strong and stay put once the glue dries.
I have a review of this system at the link below if a ligttle more info would help.

Miller Dowel Review - NewWoodworker.com LLC

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Personally, I like them a lot. Easy to use, nice tight fit, quality dowels, good final product look! :icon_thum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors