Military Sword display box

Status
Not open for further replies.

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Hey folks,
I've seen a lot of postings for flag and gun presentation/display cases.
Have any of you ever made a sword display box?
I have a good friend who I'd like to make a display case for.
His great great grandfather was in the Civil War (a yankee) and he has his officers sabre with an interesting history.
The name can be traced to the Gettysburg Monument.

My biggest questions are:
1. Will rope lighting give off too much heat in a small display case?
2. Have you ever used anti tarnish materials (like they use in silver chests)?
3. Can you suggest anyone in the Raleigh area to make a plaque to hang in the box with the history?

I was looking at making something like this:

Thanks, Ron​

J

jeff...

Hey folks,
I've seen a lot of postings for flag and gun presentation/display cases.
Have any of you ever made a sword display box?
I have a good friend who I'd like to make a display case for.
His great great grandfather was in the Civil War (a yankee) and he has his officers sabre with an interesting history.
The name can be traced to the Gettysburg Monument.

My biggest questions are:
1. Will rope lighting give off too much heat in a small display case?
2. Have you ever used anti tarnish materials (like they use in silver chests)?

I was looking at making something like this:

Thanks, Ron​

That is a cool looking display box. plane jane lumber, solid case construction and sturdy supports. Draws the eyes to whats being displayed and not the case. Using figured or QS lumber might defeat the purpose.

Thanks

christopheralan

New User
Christopheralan
I have not made a case for swords, but have have done a few shaddow boxes. Try to find a LED type light for three reasons: they draw almost no power, last for years, and give off no heat. Auto-part stores carry these lights for "ground-effects" and stero system lighting. Just run a dado inside the box and glue the light in place.

I have never used the anti-tarnish stuff and can't speak on that, one, but as far as the plaque, check a trophie or awards store to have one made. Usually they charge by the letter, so get a price quote first.

christopheralan

smessick

New User
Stan Messick
I have thought of doing the same thing to display my great-grandfather's sabre and while I haven't come up with a plan I was thinking of maybe using styrofoam for the back so I could hollow out a place for half of the guard and the sabre would lay flat, maybe against a background of butternut gray wool with some kind of gold inset border and a fairly plain box for the frame, maybe walnut or chestnut.

M

McRabbet

I'd suggest you improve on the knobs used to open the case; IMHO, the wooden knobs look out of place. I would use a pair of rounded stop dadoes in the frame about 4-5" long (make them with a 3/4" core box bit; $15 from MLCS Router Bits and Woodworking Products) and either a magnetic or ball catch to hold the door closed.

Rob

yellofins

Ron
Corporate Member
Rob,
The picture is the basic idea of what I'm looking for.The idea of using the magnetic catch is a great idea.
I was considering having no handles or doors.
I was going to make the glass (or lexan) and the complete frame slide in on a dado'd track on the back frame or something like that.
I wanted the outside to be free of hardware.
I'm still in the design stage looking for ideas.
christopheralan,
I think the LEDs would work great....low power and low heat.
I bought some high output LEDs for the boat last year, I may have a few left over to try out.
Thanks,
Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS