Military Retirement Shadow Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
I was commisioned (by my wife) to build the shadow box in the photo for my BIL's retirementd from the Navy (20+-years, full Commander..) next month.
The box is all white oak, a light golden oak stain and poly.
The layout of the medal etc was done by the wife following a sketch from the BIL.

Attachments

• mikebox.jpg
    mikebox.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 514

kota62

New User
Gary Noble
Tom:
That's an excellent box, should be cherished for decades to come
Is it wall mount, if so how do you do yours...
Gary

D L Ames

New User
D L Ames
Very nice job Tom.:eusa_clap I like the way you placed all of the ranks he held in chronological order. I am sure your BIL will display that case proudly. Congratulations to your BIL on his retirement. Please pass on my thanks to him for his service.

D L

sapwood

New User
Roger
Tom that's impresssive! The layout is great and it certainly "commands" attention :mrgreen:

Roger

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
Gary,
It is intended for the wall but I left deciding on the hangar to them. They are moving after retirement and i don't know what kind of wall they will be dealing with. There is lots of solid woo at the top and bottom so that should not be a problem.
(He's an engineer, among other degrees so I am hoping figuring out the hanging part won't be a problem.)

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Tom, that is really nice. It is one of the best designed and layed out ones that I ever seen. Everything fits perfectly and in good proportion.
Dave:)

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Very nice! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap Having retired as a Commander myself, I wish my shadow box were as nice!! Contents are not inexpensive either- since the shoulder board gold stripes are nice and bright I assume they are new (they don't stay that bright over a 20+ year career) and new boards are not cheap. Somebody did a great job folding the flag also.

Terry

New User
Terrence P. Rielly
Tom,

That is awesome! It was designed very well! You have given me and idea on how I want to do my ranks with the Fire department when I retire next year. ! Awesome Tom! Terry:eusa_clap :eusa_danc

T

toolferone

Very nicely done. Sitting here looking at it, I realize it is a good size piece. What are the outside dimensions?

J

jeff...

Wow, very nice indeed :icon_thum is the back corkboard with a felt cover?

tom hintz

New User
Tom Hintz
The back is actually two pieces, first is a foamcore board with the felt and that is backed with 1/4"-ply, both screwed into a rabbet. Screwing through the ply to trap the foamcore board was the best solution I could come with quickly to keep it rigid and hopefully dustproof.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS