Might have lucked up

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I met a custom home builder, and he offered to give me any left over flooring from the jobs they do. Their homes are all Million dollar + homes. He said they end up with some pretty nice exotics. Its all tongue and groove though. I guess I can just cut that part off for most projects. Anyone have experience with this type of stuff before? It looks like the first round will be american hardwood cherry, and then in a few weeks australian cypress.

Monty

New User
Monty
Wow. There are countless things you could use those 'leftovers' for. I'll be really interested to see what lengths you get.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
If nothing else they can become parts for small boxes or pen blanks. I also look forward to seeing what you will receive. Will the wood come with a finish, i.e. is it being layed pre-finished?

JohnsonMBrandon

New User
Brandon Johnson
I don't think that it is prefinished, but I could be wrong. He said generally the widths will vary from 3 inches to 7 inches. Also said from time to time he would give me a couple ends off of large cedar beams (said probably an 6x6 or 8x8 about four feet long. I doubt the length of the flooring would be that great...a couple feet at the most, but maybe they will have some left over. He said they never save the flooring from one job to another. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Steve D

Steve DeWeese
Could be a great find. You will probably get some fairly long pieces up to about 7' if they don't save material from job to job but most of it will be the shorts. If they are doing a good install job, they will typically set aside the shorts and use them in closets and on the ends. That usually means lots of 12-18" pieces left over. Most of the time the material will have a relief cut into the back. If you re-saw or plane that off you'll have a little over 1/2" thickness left. The wide boards could be re-sawn into veneer if the grain is nice.

Steve D

DaveO

New User
DaveO
I think you definitely lucked out. Free wood is free wood. Even if it is pre-finished, you can always plane the finish off easily. Show us what you make out it. Dave:)

T

toolferone

:eusa_shhh
Billbed.jpg

A friend of mine up north lucked out on this flooring, prefinished 3/4" from flooring manufacture for .75 cents a square foot. It looks great!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS