melamine particle board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanilla Gorilla

New User
Marco Principio
Where is a good source in the triangle area for melamine particle board or MDF? I am looking to make some new kitchen cabinets on the cheap, so I will be making the cases out of the particle board and the face frames, doors, etc out of hardwood. What does this stuff cost per sheet?

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Bout $26 per sheet for melamine at the HD on Cap Blvd in Mini City and make sure you call it mel-a-meen or they'll think you're a bloody limey. Oh, and there's only one person in the store who knows where it is. However, I know where it is. It's at eye level in the sheet goods section, with no sign at all, and from the edge at eye level you can't tell what it is. The top is white, as is the bottom. That's a dead giveaway.

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Beware of the stuff at the BORGs. Go to either Horizon, or Raleigh Hardwood. They are located near each other on Poole Road. Carolyn at RHC will be a good person to talk to.

Ralrick

New User
Rick
Jim -

How thick are the sheets at HD - is it 3/4"? Do they also sell the 2'x4' sheets or just the 4X8?

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Not Jim, but...the sheets are 3/4" thick. I haven't seen them in anything but 4 x 8 and shelf boards which are only 12" wide. You can also get the edge banding at HD to dress up the edges if desired. I find the Melamine a handy material to have around the shop. Glue doesn't stick well to it, so it is a great surface for a glue up table as well as out feed and side tables around the TS. Also it can be used to help prevent snipe by making an auxiliary bed for a planer.

Dave:)

Jim Murphy

New User
Fern HollowMan
Jim -

How thick are the sheets at HD - is it 3/4"? Do they also sell the 2'x4' sheets or just the 4X8?

Just measured with the digital caliper yesterday when Gator took the shop tour and I was complaining about 3/4" BBRG birch that was 0.66".

The melamine I got from HD was 0.766"

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors