Measuring for picture frames question

Status
Not open for further replies.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
My super sled works great and cuts a beautiful miter cut however this brings up another question. Is there a formula for determing how much extra length is needed for a frame that is say 14" on the inside with a 2 1/4" wide stock?

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok Fred, you are saying 18 1/2 is the inside measurement, you add (2 1/4 plus 2 1/4) 4 1/2 to the 18 1/2 to get 23? Just need to make sure I understand.
The super sled requires the exact cut when I make the miters.

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Ok Fred, you are saying 18 1/2 is the inside measurement, you add (2 1/4 plus 2 1/4) 4 1/2 to the 18 1/2 to get 23? Just need to make sure I understand.
The super sled requires the exact cut when I make the miters.

NO! Fred is saying the OUTSIDE measurement will be 18.5 if the INSIDE is 14". 2x the width (2.25") = 4.5" + 14" = 18.5". If you're basing the inside measurement on the item to be framed, make sure you measure from the inside of the rabbet, not the inside of the frame.

Bill

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
NO! Fred is saying the OUTSIDE measurement will be 18.5 if the INSIDE is 14". 2x the width (2.25") = 4.5" + 14" = 18.5". If you're basing the inside measurement on the item to be framed, make sure you measure from the inside of the rabbet, not the inside of the frame.

Bill

thanks Bill! when I read lorains reply I though I had lost my mind but after a short search I found it.... right there under the bench where it belongs. BTW my smileys aint woikin the site has had a few quirks lately so I been tryin to keep me trap shut......

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ok guys, you did it again. I have yet to come here and not get help. I understand now and I post this info away with my woodworking tips. Thanks again. Saves me a lot of time. If anyone is interested, the super sled is a great jig to have in the shop. No more bad miters for me. Thanks again.:notworthy:

junquecol

Bruce
Senior User
Jerry Cole's book on framing is worth the purchase. It's available from In- Industries. Also Jerry's video showing how to use the Dubby has an excellent section on figuring sizes.

BKind2Anmls

New User
Susan
+1 for Jerry Coles' book. It is amazingly helpful and a real time saver. He also has one for multi-sided frames which I purchased at the last Woodworking Show.

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
One other tip when measuring for picture frames -- aside from measuring at the rabbet: Take advantage of the fact that the rabbeted ledge is hidden from view. Build in a little extra tolerance and measure the sides to allow an extra 1/16" or so within the rabbets. This gap will not be visible in the finished product and it ensures the glass (esp. if already precut) and photo/matte will all fit properly and with some leeway if your measurements aren't dead perfect.

In woodworking, as in life in general, take advantage of any opportunity to incorporate a little extra tolerance in your design -- especially where it can be hidden from view. Then if things don't quite fit perfectly, aren't quite measured right, or the wood simply expands or contracts, you won't have to spend time struggling to come up with a way to fix things since you've already allowed for the imperfection.

lwhughes149

New User
Lorraine
Ethan you are so right. How many pieces of glass have I purchased only to have them not fit. I will look at Jerry Cole's book, thanks for the tip. I have several woodworking magazines that gave different designs for picture frame, that's what got me started here. I have made several large pieces of furniture over the past few years and decided it was time to start doing smaller items. Clocks are in the near future. Thanks everyone for the help. Again if you haven't looked at the super sled, do so, it is now going to replace my cross cut saw.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
Assuming the rabbet is 3/8" wide (YMMV):

Stock total width 2 1/4" - 3/8" = 1 7/8"
Artwork is 14" wide

2 times the "adjusted" stock width (1 7/8") = 3 3/4"
Plus Ethan's 1/16" play = 3 13/16"
Plus Artwork width 14" = 17 13/16" = outside length of piece.

Do the same for the height dimension and you are all set.

C.

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Good info from all above. How you take the measurements will depend upon whether you cut the miters first in the 2 1/4" w stock or you rabbet the stock and then cut the miters. If your print is 14" x 14" then you want to make sure that your measurement is from the very inside edge of the rabbet not the very inside corner of the frame or your print will simply fall through the opening.

It's a 1" difference in a piece with a nominal 1/2" x 1/2" rabbet in 3/4" thick stock. You'll have to adjust for your rabbet dimensions.

Frame_2.jpg

Frame_2.jpg

Frame_3.jpg

Glass measurements. Here's the guidelines from Bendheim Glass. It's worked perfectly for me recently.

http://www.bendheimcabinetglass.com/measuringCabinetGlass.cfm

Jeff

New User
Jeff
Oops! I posted the same picture twice in the above post. Here's the one that should have been there. :BangHead:

Frame4.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS