MDF caused pot usage....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member
A Neti pot, that is. After making the trim pieces for 5 elliptical arches like below (20 pieces total), I had to visit the sink with the Neti pot to get the dust outa my nose. In spite of using a shop vac with the router, that stuff is nasty dusty.

I plan to do a How To post on the entire process of ellipses soon. Stay tuned....

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
Re: MDF causes pot usage....

While truly useful, a neti pot has to be one of the most disgusting things I have have ever used.

Fortunately (maybe not if you ask LOML) I have a very hairy nose. MDF + my nose = BLACK tissues!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO

Love my Neti pot (or the more acceptable squeeze bottle) I have never breathed better. That is blessing in disquise, as I now can smell things that I use to ignore. I need to do something about the stray cat that is peein' in my shop:eusa_doh:

Dave:)

Ray Martin

New User
Ray

A Neti pot, that is. After making the trim pieces for 5 elliptical arches like below (20 pieces total), I had to visit the sink with the Neti pot to get the dust outa my nose. In spite of using a shop vac with the router, ....

After having Googled "neti pot", b/c I just didn't know ... well... and then a router with a shop vac? Your nose must be sore...

:gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;:rotflm::gar-La;

cpw

New User
Charles

I LOVE my Neti pot. Since I started using one allergy season has changed from a major disability to a minor inconvenience.

M

McRabbet

You need to get one of these to avoid getting some of that offensive dust caught in your nostrils and the rest of it into your lungs! Cost is less than $20 including filters from Grizzly. Your lungs are too valuable not to protect. In this picture, I used the stock filter on the ROS; I now use it with a hose connected to my ClearVue CV06 mini cyclone and 16 gallon ShopVac, which prevents very little dust from ever getting airborne.

100_2934.JPG

View image in gallery

richlife

New User
Rich

You need to get one of these to avoid getting some of that offensive dust caught in your nostrils and the rest of it into your lungs! Cost is less than $20 including filters from Grizzly. Your lungs are too valuable not to protect. In this picture, I used the stock filter on the ROS; I now use it with a hose connected to my ClearVue CV06 mini cyclone and 16 gallon ShopVac, which prevents very little dust from ever getting airborne.

100_2934.JPG

Yeah, ANYTHING is better than nothing. MDF is really nasty stuff. Not just wood dust but some choice chemicals that you really don't want in your body. It really seems to fight against dust collection efforts and fills an air cleaner in no time!

I didn't recognize the term 'neti pot' either, but have heard of it. Now I understand why you need it. :eusa_doh: Rich

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nasal_irrigation

froglips

New User
Jim Campbell

+1 for the neti pot.

For something that offers so much relief, I got over the obvious, uhm, uniqueness of the activity.

I'm still at squeeze bottle, but might just take this as the motivation to go full blown neti pot.

If only Jimmy Durante was still with us, would he not make the perfect spokesperson for the late night infomercial?

Jim

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member

A Neti pot, that is. After making the trim pieces for 5 elliptical arches like below (20 pieces total), I had to visit the sink with the Neti pot to get the dust outa my nose. In spite of using a shop vac with the router, that stuff is nasty dusty.

I plan to do a How To post on the entire process of ellipses soon. Stay tuned....

Ok wait. So, first you used a router and shop vac, and when that didn't get the dust out, you used the neti pot? :rotflm:

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason

I don't really work with mdf that much, but I'm diggin the ellipse! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Glennbear

Glenn

Definitely sounds like a good argument for a dust mask or respirator. :wsmile:

Gotcha6

Dennis
Staff member
Corporate Member

Look in the drug stores for an AYR kit. Basically it's a squeeze bottle with packets of saline and bicarbonate mixed. It's filled with distilled water & packet(s) of solution added and warmed to make the nasal rinse. You just insert it in your nostril while leaning over the sink and squeeze. Use 1/2 of the solution in each nostril. NEVER RINSE WITH PLAIN WATER. DAMHIKT.
BTW, since this has turned into a health issue, I'm moving the thread there.

MrAudio815

New User
Matthew
Dennis,

I really like this:

Way to use MDF....With all that I did have....I should have done something like that with it. Oh Well I had fun with it making face plates, shelves, and Work Benches.

Now the Netti Pot is nice, it made my nose nice and clear after I got it unclogged 2 days latter. Man I sure had some build up, up in there. Then once it was so clear, of course I go out in the shop with no protection and am feeling worse than before because my nose was so clear. So I wear something similar to Rob's dust Mask, but it only has one filter. I got it on Amazon for I think $14 plus two sets of filters for a little more. That think works great~! And my nose has been tons better ever since~!

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy

You need to get one of these to avoid getting some of that offensive dust caught in your nostrils and the rest of it into your lungs!

When you say "one of these", I assume you mean a guy with a dust mask on to do my sanding, right? :gar-La;

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
MDF is the primary reason I started buying Festool. Working with a lot of MDF for a project was what started me looking at a Festool Track Saw. Attached to a Shop Vac I get almost no dust in the air while cutting MDF.

They all have excellent dust collection.

It has escalated to more Festool's from there. But I have never looked back regretfully.

- Ken.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors