Master the skew with Allan Batty

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmart77

Dan
Corporate Member
He really does a great job of demonstrating the skew. I think I turn my spindles at a little bit slower speed. I would love to hear what his thoughts might be on hollow vs flat grind, curved skew vs straight angle and so on. He has a very nice experienced touch.

I learned how to use the skew a while back. All flat steel and all hollow grinds on the wheel. Lots of debate now on the tool prep and geometry of the edge.

This is a great video. Its just not easy to find spindle turners these days. Most of the demos and clubs seem to be more populated by bowl and plate turners. Maybe its a poor observation?

A little while back I had to turn these squares to round tapered legs. Skew work.
FF_8_1.JPG

1-byrd_cutter_and_drawer_build_006.JPG

bamboo_dec_17_24_.JPG

1-leg_painting_003.JPG

It all comes down to beads and coves with legs. I turn because I have to do it. I just never got the bug to go to the lathe and pass the time enjoying myself. Its one of those woodworking moments where I feel like I am on alert.

thanks Mike​

KenOfCary

Ken
Staff member
Corporate Member
Allan Batty is very good at explaining what he is doing on the lathe. Very good video lesson.

Roy G

Roy
Senior User
Dan, that's a nice piece. I like the second picture where you show the joints in the leg where the shelf dividers go.

Roy G

TENdriver

New User
TENdriver
Mike, really good stuff there. I forget that skews were under appreciated for a while.

Back in the dark ages (before U-toob). I had a couple unused skews. Somehow, I was exposed to a film showing some old school production turners at work. Talk about inspiration!

Two turning epiphanies I took from that film were the spring loaded drive centers and skew chisels. I remember being shocked by all the work those production turners could get done with just their skews, and from that point on, I was pretty determined to replicate their technique.

I never felt I reached a point of actual expertise, but did become good enough to better utilize the tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors