March 12 Sharpening Workshop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
Bring the things you want to sharpen. Planes, chisels, knives, axes, scissors, pruners, a shovel, I don't care. Also bring any sharpening tools that you want to learn to use better.

I will be there. I am bringing an assortment of carving tools and stones that I wish I knew how to use better. Thanks for this phil

Mark Gottesman

New User
Mark
Just finished loading the van. a bit of this and that. Probably about a weeks worth of work:rotflm:.
If I get my block planes sharpened and tuned it will be good.

Steve W

New User
Steve
Thanks again, Mike for doing this workshop and thanks to Bill for providing the great venue!

I sharpened a complete set of chisels, two wide plane irons (#6,7 size), two block plane irons and a bullnose plane iron. Now I have to take apart the #6 and #7 planes and restore the rest of them!

This is the first time I've had a block plane sharp enough to actually tackle red oak end grain!

The company was outstanding, too - Great to meet and talk to a great bunch as usual.

I found out that it was Bill who beat me out on some tools at an auction last summer :rotflm:

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Mike, did you find that workmate behind your car? And thanks for helping me sharpen my sharpening technique.

I must have a sharpening phobia. I hate the thought of the task, but once I finally get started, I enjoy it.

Nice meeting some new NCWW'ers.

Last but not least, thanks to Bill for opening his shop to the motley crew that attended. :cool:

To any of you who did not partake of the pound cake so graciously provided by Mrs. Clemmons...I feel sorry for ya! :tinysmile_tongue_t:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I found the workmate, THANKS!

We also found a soft lunch bag, a black Olympic logo fleece jacket, some tools and a hundred dollar bill.

ZachEakes

New User
Zach
I had a lot of fun.

Thanks Mike for the education... and Bill for the workspace! I'm borrowing your idea of those plywood bridges/clamping cauls.

Cheers,

Zach

Phil S

Phil Soper
Staff member
Corporate Member
I found the workmate, THANKS!

We also found a soft lunch bag, a black Olympic logo fleece jacket, some tools and a hundred dollar bill.

Mike, Thanks for the instruction that was very helpful.
Bill, Thanks for the hospitality and the tour of your great shop

I forgot the fleece jacket - hopefully it will fit one of you guys as it it now yours

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Mike, I remember finding the lunch tote, the fleece jacket, and even some tools lying around, but you must have gotten to that $100 bill while I was in the restroom. :rotflm: Too bad Jesse has already claimed it; I'm sure I could have made a convincing argument. :nah:

Seriously, I had a great time and thoroughly enjoyed having everyone at the shop. Now I just need to find another excuse to do it again. :wwink: I'll try to download, then upload all the pics I took either later today or tomorrow, just to prove it actually happened.

Phil, I've got the fleece jacket and will bring it w/ me to the picnic in May. Hope you'll be there. I'll also bring the purple lunch pale for whoever left it. Zach, please, please feel free to use any idea you saw in the shop. I'm sure I copied it from someone else, and am only too happy to pass it on. The same goes for anyone else who has ever been in or seen pics of the shop. You do me proud! :icon_thum

Bill

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
As promised, here are the pics I took yesterday, just to prove it actually happened. :gar-Bi There are plenty more in the gallery.

IMG_18502.JPG

View image in gallery

Bill

drw

Donn
Corporate Member
Mike,
Indeed, I did learn a lot and I had a whole lot of fun. Thank you for sharing your time and your skills with us, you are an excellent instructor! Bill, I also want to thank you for the use of your shop (an awesome facility) and for your insights on the various subjects we discussed...you're an outstanding host!

Donn

Steve W

New User
Steve
I'm still scratching my head: I brought and setup a #4/5 chipbreaker but can't find the iron! did anyone have an "extra" #4/5 iron? I'm suspecting I forgot to bring it in the first place but just want to check:dontknow:

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
That was a 7 you tried out in Bill's plane? I didn't see any extra parts as we were working after everyone left.

Steve W

New User
Steve
No I returned Bill's No 7 as it was and took my iron.

I think what happened was I was going to bring another #4/5 iron, actually had the No 5 sitting on my bench and then forgot to take the iron/breaker out of it to bring with me. I have another iron sitting on the bench, but it was pretty smashed up at the top and decided against spending any serious time with it. It has some sharpening but seemed to sharpen too easily. That'll be a good iron to use on painted wood or stuff that might have a little iron in it :wsmile:

Bill Clemmons

Bill
Corporate Member
Steve, I've been in the shop since Saturday and didn't see anything extra, other than the fleece jacket and lunch box we've already mentioned. If you want me to, I'll look more thorough tomorrow.

Bill

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS