Maple Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Before I head off to Wall Lumber - I'm looking for about 30BF of 8/4 and 20 BF of 4/4 hard maple. I figured I would see if a fellow woodworker would like to unload some first.

Thanks

DWSmith

New User
David
Go to Musser Lumber, Boeing Dr., Greensboro. Wholesale prices instead of retail (much cheaper), you can see what you are getting rather than having to pull it out of a rack, dependable quality. See Glen or David.

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
Jeff if you get to Raleigh, Anchor Hardwood had some very very nice hard maple last time I was there. They are a heck of a lot closer then Walls Lumber.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
Whatcha makin'?

One of my sons and I are going to make two 58~59 model ES 335 (like whats pictured below). The first one we don't expect to be much more than a wall hanger since well be learning how to do the WWing on it. The second one will be the keeper.

I really need 3 wood species maple for the body, mahogany for the neck and rosewood for the fretboard.

p1_u0z4dyzx1_so.jpg

Thanks

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
So jealous. I want to build one at some point but need to do more research. Please document your build here for me. :)

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
Jeff, I have curly maple in 4/4, 6/4 and 8/4 up to 12" wide on the 8/4 and 18" wide on the 4/4. Also have 1 piece of 5/4 curly mahogany if interested.

Chris

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
So jealous. I want to build one at some point but need to do more research. Please document your build here for me. :)

Have you seen the hand tooled guitars website? Look at the free videos section - many many many hours (step by step) of howto vids. My son found that site and got me nodding up and down that we would build one.

Here's an idea:
Since this is a long project and we don't live close together plus the price of gas would kill both of us. Why don't we try and do virtual? You cobble up your materials and I'll cobble up mine and build them together online. We could use skype when needed, the telephone and post pics of our progress write up a how to of the steps for others to use.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
I will check out that site for sure..

I just started a Tele build but after I get that done I might have to take you up on that. That would be a really fun project.

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
my first build is going to be a 59 les paul. I have the tempelate for it, and I know what species I'm going to build it from I just haven't had the time to start. I do look forward to it though. Never build one and haven't even held a guitar in over 25 years

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
I will check out that site for sure..

I just started a Tele build but after I get that done I might have to take you up on that. That would be a really fun project.

ok I'm a couple of months out on starting - I'm trying to cobble all the wood together now so it'll have time for it to acclimate by the time we start. I'll let you know when the time is getting closer.

CrealBilly

New User
Jeff
my first build is going to be a 59 les paul. I have the tempelate for it, and I know what species I'm going to build it from I just haven't had the time to start. I do look forward to it though. Never build one and haven't even held a guitar in over 25 years

Is the wood in the price list you sent me kiln or air died?

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
cool maybe i'll be done with mine and can do this with you.

Chris can you PM me your price list as well?

srhardwoods

New User
Chris
that's for kiln dried lumber, all of it. I have a lot of curly cherry to go in the kiln soon, but I do have a couple hundred feet dried, 1,500 bf waiting on kiln space.

rcflyer23

New User
Kevin
Chris, Thanks I got it.

Jeff, those video while rough contain some great info and I can totally see why you are nodding your head. I am totally thinking I can probably do that. Did you order his plans? I need to price out some wood for it and see if I can gather enough cash over the next few months to get the wood and hardware. I've always wanted a 335. I'm looking forward to the rest of the videos.

I'm not a big fan of his carve it seemed a little to rough for my likes. I like a smoother transition but that's me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS