Maple entry table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
LOML wanted a table with a drawer in a little nook for our entry way. I just have some finish sanding to do and then finish, but it's pretty much assembled (except for the hardware). I should have sharpened my chisels before trying the dovetails -- they're very rough, but it gives them charm, I think. Except for the table top, it's all recycled maple.

So now I need some suggestions! :) Any thoughts on what kind of finish or drawer pull would work well with this? My wife wants something a bit darker that I usually do for maple, so I'm a bit concerned about splotching...

Thanks!

entry_table_01.jpg
entry_table_02.jpg

BillPappas

New User
Bill
Alex,

The table is looking great ! I would suggest a shellac, less likely to splotch and you certainly could use a garnet shellacs to get a bit darker. No real ideas on the handles, I would peruse the magazines and find something I like and produce something similar.

Check out this link to get an idea on the tones you might get with shellac:

http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/htdocs/shellac3.htm

Regards,

Bill

T

toolferone

A gel stain would help if you are worried about blotching. Is it hard maple? Soft maple stains fine. Looks nice.

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Can't help ya with the finishing, but that table will make a great impression on anyone who enters you house! Nice Work!

JackLeg

New User
Reggie
Really nice table, Alex. You should be proud!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Dutchman

New User
Buddy
Looks like you have plenty of finishing suggestions. I would reccomend a 1" dia. knob in the center or slightly above for hardware.

PChristy

New User
Phillip
Great job Alex - looks great - can't help you on the finish - I would get the finish the way you want it and then decide on the hardware

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
"" Except for the table top, it's all recycled maple. ""
Beautiful job on the table. Is there a source for the recycled Maple, it has some nice grain and figure ??

Alex Franke

New User
Alex
Thanks, everyone! :)

Is there a source for the recycled Maple, it has some nice grain and figure ??

I scored a bunch of maple from a neighbor who was going to move out of town. They were refurbishing a fancy club somewhere in NC, and he actually rescued it from the dumpster! :eek::eek: Some of it has some nice figure.

So I'll sneak in this photo-gloat: :)

maple01.jpg

maple02.jpg

Beautiful work Alex! :icon_thum Just don't paint it. :nah:

Paint? What's that!?? :)

A gel stain would help if you are worried about blotching. Is it hard maple? Soft maple stains fine. Looks nice.

I'm pretty sure it's hard maple. I'll look into the gel stains -- thanks for the tip!

peteb301

Pete
Corporate Member
That is an over and above you ROCK !!!! :eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc
Reclaimed figured Maple made into fine furniture.
Nice neighbors also.

nelsone

New User
Ed
Nice table! If you are wanting to darken it, you may want to investigate dye. I have had great luck using dyes and they are pretty foolproof. I use a cheapo sprayer to apply it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors