Manual for Rockwell 28-140 10" bandsaw, or some knowledge, needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DanR

New User
Dan
Hi Folks,
I bought an old (1983) Rockwell Model 10 28-140 bandsaw yesterday. I am trying to figure out the widest blade that can be used on it, but I have no manual. I see in the manuals for other 10" bandsaws that up to 3/4" wide can be used. The wheels that the blade rides on are 1" wide.

Does anyone have a manual for this model, or can you tell me the rule of thumb for determining maximum blade width?

DanR

New User
Dan
Here is a pic I got from woodworkingtalk dot com:
rockwell.jpg

ehpoole

Administrator
Ethan
FWIW, it is pretty much a rule with these smaller bandsaws that you never run them with their widest possible blade. They generally lack the ability to adequately tension the maximum blade (and sometimes actually break if you attempt to tension such blades) and they often lack the horsepower to boot (generally speaking, a wider blade is a thicker blade with a wider kerf).

I would be surprised if a 10" model were even adequately rated for(1/2", it is probably more like 3/32" to 3/8" if I had to venture a guess (yeah, I know what happens when one assumes!). The smaller bandsaws are meant mostly for scrolling, curves and freehand work, they are not usually meant to do any serious resawing. If I had a 10" bandsaw, I probably would not invest in anything larger than 1/4" -- you can do very light resawing (at least a 2-3") with a 1/4" x 6tpi and cut nice clean curves with 1/4" x 10tpi.

Enjoy your new toy!

DanR

New User
Dan
Thanks folks. I will finish up replacing the bearings and cleaning it up (the picture is not of my saw ;) ) and order a few thin blades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS