Mandrel

Status
Not open for further replies.

dozer

Mike
Alright I seem to have no luck with pen mandrels I am on my second one from 1 manufacturer and and my first from another and I get bad tail stock wobble no matter what I do. I have cleaned the head stock, checked for burrs it is really starting to get annoying. I am using a Rikon 12" mini and my head and tail stocks line up just fine. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks, Mike

clowman

Clay Lowman
Corporate Member
Have you checked to see if the rod is warped? I've read several people getting warped rods. Who makes the mandrel you use? Did you replace the 1st with the same brand?

woodguy1975

New User
John
Too much tailstock pressure on the end of the mandrel will cause a wobble too. You should have limited pressure on it. Also run your tailstock up to your head stock with drive center and live center in place and see if the points line up.

John

dozer

Mike
I had a woodcraft mandrel which I replaced with another woodcraft mandrel, Now I bought a hut mandrel yesterday and it is doing the same thing. I get the wobble before I even put the tail stock up to the mandrel. My tail stock and headstock do line up. I have cleaned my headstock ran some fine grit paper through the through hole pretty much done all I can think of.

My lathe is a new Rikon I got for Fathers Day I'm not sure if maybe something is wrong with the taper in the headstock or not but I am running out of things to try.

Big Mike

New User
Mike
Might seem like a silly question but does the Morse taper of the mandrel match the Morse taper of the lathe? I think the small Rikon has a MT#1.

FredP

Fred
Corporate Member
dozer said:
I had a woodcraft mandrel which I replaced with another woodcraft mandrel, Now I bought a hut mandrel yesterday and it is doing the same thing. I get the wobble before I even put the tail stock up to the mandrel. My tail stock and headstock do line up. I have cleaned my headstock ran some fine grit paper through the through hole pretty much done all I can think of.

My lathe is a new Rikon I got for Fathers Day I'm not sure if maybe something is wrong with the taper in the headstock or not but I am running out of things to try.

hey dozer. take a look at the link you sent me. he shows how to straoiten the shaft of your mandrel. just saw it a few minuits ago. jjust dont get too heavy handed:slap:

fred p

JRD

New User
Jim
Ok,

I give up. Where's the link to the information on straightening a mandril?

Jim

cskipper

Cathy
Mike, I would suggest taking all the mandrels you have and go to the store where the lathe was purchased. If you do not have a problem on their lathe (same brand) then you know the lathe itself is somehow defective.

dozer

Mike
Thanks for the tip Cathy I think I will try that tomorrow I have tried everyting else I can think of.

dozer

Mike
I followed your suggestion and carried my lathe and mandrels back to WC where after doing some testing and ruling out things one at a time John and I have replaced the live center and no more bent mandrels. John was great and really took the time to find out what the problem was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS