MAME Machine! WITH LOTS of added pics!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
After only sporadic work in my shop I am back in a big way. Last week I finished a slew of pens and sent them out. Here is a picture:

DSCN20261.JPG

Since then I have been working on a MAME machine. It is a big arcade machine that emulates almost any old arcade game. I have the main carcass 90% finished. It has been a blast! I will post pics soon.

Last edited:

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Re: MAME Machine!

Here are the pics:

DSCN20291.JPG

Carcass front

DSCN20301.JPG

Coin door opening

DSCN20311.JPG

Keyboard drawer

DSCN2032.JPG

Marquee opening

DSCN2033.JPG

Carcass back

DSCN2034.JPG

Monitor shelf

DSCN2034.JPG

Monitor shelf

Sp
DSCN20351.JPG

Speaker panel (to be cut)

DSCN20361.JPG

Carcass side

MarkE

Mark
Corporate Member
Oh my! That is a big box.

Is that cherry ply?

Very nicely done. Can't wait to see the completed game console. X-box, eat your heart out.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
I can't wait to see this done. Part of the reason I got into wood working was to eventually build one of these. My son is 5 and getting into games so this might be coming sooner than later, are you going off a set of plans or just winging it.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
I am working from plans from a company called Northcoast Custom Arcades. They came with a book "Project Arcade" by John St. Clair. The plans leave somethings to be desired as they were obviously not made by experirnced woodworkers.

I have made modifications, like a Dado for the from drawer.

A regular tower PC goes in the bootom and a keyboard goes in the drawer. I need a flourescent light in the top and I am using a pair od computer speakers in the top with a sub woofer below.

The coin door is just for appearances.

T-Molding needs to be installed. I need to buy a monitor, a control panel, a monitor bezel and protective plexiglass. I will probably put casters on to make it more movable.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
MarkE I got the sheets of Cherry ply about five years ago from a cabinet shop that closed in downtown Raleigh. 1 sheet of 4 x8 and two sheets of 4 x 10 for a total of $60-80. :gar-Bi

They have been sitting around waiting for a project like this.

RandyJ

New User
Randy
Nice work, Doug! Looking forward to the rest of the WIP.

If you want to go used on the Tower, keyboard, monitor, or mouse, I can help you out. I have several of each that I would be willing to part with VERY cheap. Let me know if you are interested.

Good luck on the build.

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
I hope so, yes. Do you have one? Wanna sell it? Got a good deal on one? :eusa_pray
I don't have one, I went with an old fashioned 25" CRT (tube) in mine. If you're only going MAME, then the WG9000 doesn't really offer any major advantages over a regular LCD, since you can keep the LCD at its native resolution and let MAME do the scaling. But if you also want the option of running the old original boards, then the CGA input (15kHz) is important.

For an LCD, you want something with a low response time and 4:3 aspect ratio. The HP LP2065 gets high marks, as does the Dell 2007FP. But any IPs panel should do. You can often pick up a refurbished one for $125 - $200.

rcflyer23

Kevin
Corporate Member
Where did you get the skin for your control panel that's really cool. I am going to do one of these at some point, I've got an old PC screaming to be one of these.

Douglas Robinson

Doug Robinson
Corporate Member
Where did you get the skin for your control panel that's really cool. I am going to do one of these at some point, I've got an old PC screaming to be one of these.

I found a high resolution picture on the Internet. I am using another one for the Bezel picture.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS