Maloof Rocker-The after class shaping Part 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shamrock

New User
Michael
Hey Folks-
Let me just second what Jeremy said about John's (Woodguy1975) rocker class-phenomenal! Of the 3 students, none of us had ever built a chair before and we all left with working rocking chairs! Having said that, a good part of the chairs' character comes from the shaping, and that's up to the individual. So this is my process of finishing the rocker: Here's what the chair looks like when you're done with the class:

Now the following process is my method-and as this is my 1st chair I am probably wrong on many things-my opinions on shape are also mine-and they may not appeal to everybody-but that's what makes these chairs so unique- a bit of your personality shows through. If anyone has any helpful hints-please feel free to post-I'll put it to good use on the next one:wink_smil. Now on to part 1-I decided I'd start by shaping the rockers:
1st I must explain that in class the last thing we did was attempt to rout a 45 degree chamfer along the underside of each rocker, leaving about 3/4" of flat material on the bottom. Unfortunately, because the rockers are laminations (think spring tension), we all had some really bad tear out during the process. So I went home with 1 rocker done and one undone-so the 1st thing was to match them up-I decided to do this with a block plane:
So the 1st thing was to sharpen the tools:

here's the undone next to the done-to show what I'm going for:

and the tear out section:

block plane making curls:

Now the tear out section made the next decision pretty easy. Because it was not in the "rock" zone I decided I'd round over the back 1/2 of the rockers-started with the angle grinder. This allowed my to eliminate the section that got torn out: here's the result compared to the unshaped:

Now I had to move to the front half of the rocker and smooth the edges (I tapered the sides up toward the top by ~1/4") and also rough shape the front horns:

Next I tried to clean up all my shaping with a spokeshave but I found that my rockers were not liking that-lots of reversing grain and tear out-so I ended up smoothing with a random orbit sander-here's the results:

and finally the whole chair after today's efforts:

You can see the chair already looks quite a bit lighter- I didn't shape around the risers too much today as I want to wait until I finish shaping the legs to see what profile I want. One design note here, because of the tear out section I took out a considerable amount of material from the rockers: about 6" back from the rear legs. At 1st I was concerned about this but after seeing the shape, I actually think the curve flows a little better, a welcome surprise!
Next step will be to shape the rear legs- But that'll have to wait till Friday, until then......

:BangHead::BangHead:clamps-clamps-why do i never have enough clamps

ptt49er

Phillip
Corporate Member
Man, that looks AWESOME!!

So the next [STRIKE]pizza party[/STRIKE] Charlotte area NCWW get together is gonna be on building rockers??

Keep us posted on your progress!

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Dude, where do you find the time ? Between work, rocker and roubo, all work and no play. Seriously, you guys have done a great job on the rockers. So in a bad cliche, "Rock On !"

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
So the class is done but the chair isn't finished? Guess you're not completely off your rocker then! (yeah, bad... :slap:)

Thanks for the follow-up, some good tips here.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Making good progress there dude! Definitely don't touch the build up areas any more until you shape the legs and even have the chair glued up. I typically shape withing 1/8" after the chair is glued, but before I glue the chair to the rockers. It is always easier to shape things while you can clamp them up easily. I'd make getting that seat all sanded up smooth your next priority. Things start getting fun when you start being able to go 3D. :)

Keep up the good work dude!

John

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
I know it is stylish to be all pointy on the rocker tips, but if you ever have kids in the house you may regret that.

Of course some folks hate kids and don't want them anywhere around, so to each his own.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors