Maloof Occasional Chair Making Class at JSR

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernhard

Bernhard
User
Folks,

Attended John's chairmaking class this weekend. I highly recommend it without any reservations! John is a very good teacher and an even better chairmaker. Having never made a chair and having only experience in semi-commercial cabinetry, this class was great! After this first experience, I am planning to slightly change the chair design to adapt it to dinning room chairs. I will make six of them for my dinning room.

John is a most gracious host, has a well equipped shop and all neccesary tools are available in multiples. I had a great time and acquired a wealth of tips, tricks and related info. The only regret I have is to live too far away to visit more often.

Bernhard

Monty

New User
Monty
Sounds like you had a great experience. I agree John is a good teacher. I will be interested in how you modifiy this for dining chairs... I may be doing that myself at some point.

woodguy1975

New User
John
Sounds like you had a great experience. I agree John is a good teacher. I will be interested in how you modifiy this for dining chairs... I may be doing that myself at some point.

A side chair could be very simple to make. I'd shift the leg spread down to 1" and leave off the arms. It would be a very attractive and simple side chair. I'm starting my work on a settee version of the chair the guys just made out of sapela.

John

PurpleThumb

New User
Jerry
Hi Bernhard, add my Kudos to John's credits. (Sorry about the Padauk dust, John and everyone) The only thing wrong is that Ive always been a flat surface furniture guy and I'm having to aquire more tools. Oh well, It will be worth it if my efforts turn out anywhere near John's.
And your chair looks great already Bernhard, you need two arm chairs for your set anyway.

woodguy1975

New User
John
I only took pics during the design day. There was way too much dust in the shop during the jointery day (Sunday) for me to have my camera down there.

Hopefully the guys will take some pics of there chairs as they stand and post. :)

BTW, Jerry I didn't break out!!!!!!!! I might be alright with Paduk after all.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors