Making the Spring pole lathe

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Mad_Woodworker

New User
Shaun
I'm well on my way to making a apring pole lathe. I am using the dimensions and such from Roy Underhill's "The woodwrights guid" there are a few dimensions missing though. The three that I have not figured out are these.
on the "right hand puppet" (or left depending on your dominant hand) the means of affixing it to the lathe bed is a wedge? As in a mortise through the bottom of the puppet overlaps with to bottom of the bed so that an inserted wedge applies force to hold it in place? I think this is right, but let me know.

Next is the tool rest. I could guess at the dimensions, but if some one could provide some basic dimensions, it would be very helpful. Does it affix to just one rail of the bed or both? If both, how (I like diagrams where convenient)? is there a prefered angle for the top edge?

Lastly how do the stays (those fixed vertical pieces) connect to the feet(base)? I'll figure something out, but any clarification would be nice.

CDPeters

Master of None
Chris
on the "right hand puppet" (or left depending on your dominant hand) the means of affixing it to the lathe bed is a wedge? As in a mortise through the bottom of the puppet overlaps with to bottom of the bed so that an inserted wedge applies force to hold it in place? I think this is right, but let me know.

Correct. Make the wedge first, with a very shallow angle. Then lay out and chop the mortise. When you lay it out, use the wedge to lay out the bottom of the mortise at an angle, so that when the wedge is set, it bears equally on both rails. I would also add a hardwood pin through the bottom of the puppet under the wedge mortise to keep the pressure from breaking out the bottom of the mortise.

Next is the tool rest. I could guess at the dimensions, but if some one could provide some basic dimensions, it would be very helpful. Does it affix to just one rail of the bed or both? If both, how (I like diagrams where convenient)? is there a prefered angle for the top edge?

Looks to me like the tool rest uses a screw to affix it to the bed, with the screw extending between the rails with a top and bottom plate. Looks to me like that would be a good place to "re-use" an old hand screw clamp with a wood screw. I would "free-form" the rest, making the height just slightly above the centerline of the centers and the width just a little less than the shortest spindle you will turn. The narrower you make it, the more you will move it.

Lastly how do the stays (those fixed vertical pieces) connect to the feet(base)? I'll figure something out, but any clarification would be nice.

I suspect they are joined with double tenons, one on either side of the stays relative to the foot. I would use a nearly-through mortise, cut the tenons a little short and use draw-pins through the side of the foot to draw the joints very tight. If you are not familiar with draw pinned mortise and tenons, see Salem's bench project thread here.

Hope that helps!
C.

Steve Martin

New User
Steve Martin
I made a spring pole lathe I've been demonstrating with for about 6 years. I agree with CD's suggestions, although if you "Google" or "Bing" "spring pole lathe" you can find many different ways of making the various components. You may also want to try the web site of the Association of pole lathe turners and Green wood workers at www.bodgers.org.uk They have several years of messages about lathes.

eyekode

New User
Salem
Sounds like a neat project. I don't know the answer but I am sure Roy does :).
Roy is right down the street in Pittsboro and I bet he would chat if you dropped in his school.
Good luck!
Salem

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS