Making Strips for Canoe Build

Danny Batchelor

Danny
User
Big thanks go to Scott Smith & Crew @ Quarter Sawn White Oak in New Hill for slicing and ripping 3 big boards into a bunch of strips in less than an hour. I had gotten some cypress from Eric Feltz in Raeford, a little over a year ago and after drying and planing it I had been wrestling with how to make 1/4” x 3/4” strips from three 12” x 14 ‘ cypress boards in my little 14’ x 20’ shop.
Scott has an incredible resaw machine that can cut very precise veneers very quickly.
They first cut 1/4” slices from top and bottom of each board and then ripped those slices into 3/4” strips. It was a true, “Slam, bam, thank you mam”. They do good work and they are quick.

tvrgeek

Scott
Corporate Member
Not finding a business WEB for them. What other services/products? I had some cypress I gave away as I did not know who could handle it. ( trunks from four 60 foot Leylands) I may have some walnut and cedar that is too big for me to handle I need knocked to manageable size. ( Manageable now I have my new band saw!)

Dee2

Board of Directors, Vice President
Gene
Staff member
Corporate Member
If you search under Resources (above), 'Where to Buy' +'lumber' and scroll down when the search is complete you will find this:
Whispering Pines Farm / www.Quartersawnoak.com
Scott Smith (919) 291-0095
New Hill, NC (30 miles SW of Raleigh; about half-way in-between Apex and Sanford)
Specilizing in milling and kiln drying oak, and custom milling of extremely long or large logs (up to 60" diameter or 58' long)
Kiln dried oak and eastern red cedar always in stock. Quartersawn oak boards in stock up to 20" wide. Buy direct from a miller and save! NCWoodworker members receive a 10% discount off of retail!
qsawnoak@gmail.com
websites

www.wpsawmill.com
www.quartersawnoak.com

Chris C

Chris
Senior User
Scott is a super nice guy and runs a first class operation. I've done business with him several times and can't say enough nice things about him.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS