Making Progress ... Three Rocking Horses

Status
Not open for further replies.

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
A trip to Woodcraft several months ago with the LOML ended up with us coming home with the Family Tradition (brand) plan for a Rocking Horse. At the time it sounded like a good idea for a nice "little" project.

A few weeks later the "one" rocking horse for our daughter turned into "two" ... one for my niece as well.

Then soon after that another was added, making for "THREE" rocking horses ... the third being for our good friends who just had their first child.

And so the fun ... or should I say SANDING ... began! :BangHead:

The horses haven't gotten much attention in the past month, but yesterday I put in a good many hours. The legs are all made, the bodies are assembled and the seats are getting closer to being done. Next are the rockers themselves and the foot rests (maybe today?) 8-O

As for the wood used, it's Ash (from Kyle's mill), Braz. Cherry (from Woodcraft), and one is using Lacewood (from Woodcraft).

PS - I highly DO NOT RECOMMEND the Family Tradition plans. While the template is good, the written instructions are HORRIBLE!

P10100821.JPG

P10100811.JPG

P1010080.JPG

P10100831.JPG

nelsone

New User
Ed
Cool rocking horses. They should provide hours of fun for the kids! My grandfather made one for me when I ws little and has now been passed on to my nephew.

MikeH

New User
Mike
The rocking horses are looking good Jeremy. Thanks for the advice on the plans too.

DaveO

New User
DaveO
Pretty cool, I bet the templates really came in handy for shaping all those pieces.
Dave:)

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Lookin' Good Jeremy . . .

Glad to see you got the bandsaw going as well.

pete

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
If anyone likes sanding ... come on over, I've got a ton!

The number of bandsaw cuts & curves lend to lots (and some more) sanding. I've been sanding through sandpaper faster than ever!

sapwood

New User
Roger
Nice work, Jeremy! It's gonna be a rocking neighborhood. I know the sanding is tough, but the results are great!

Roger

cpowell

New User
Chuck
That looks like a lotta work...for a very worthwhile cause! :-D

Keep after it, looking good from here! :icon_thum

Chuck

WoodWrangler

New User
Jeremy
Well, to report in I was able to get the rockers rough-cut today from some Ash. This week I'll use the template I made to route then to final layout ... but it's looking good!

adowden

Amy
Corporate Member
Your pictures look great. I am very impressed with the saddle especially. I have make three of them (at different times), and the sanding of the saddle and the assembly of attaching the horse to the rockers is always fun :) . If I ever make another one, I was thinking of using a flush trim router bit and template to cut down on some of the sanding. They will definitely be cherished and well loved.

Amy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS