Making progress on the Tea chest

Richo B

New User
Richo
The Pekovich tea chest is coming along. I took several weeks off due to hot weather, other hobbies and being stuck on one design issue which has been solved. Soon it will be at the point where I can make the small drawers and then the sliding door.

13_Fitting back into place_9.27.20_03.jpg

14_Making Progess_9.27.20_01.jpg

Lhloy

New User
Larry
Are those dovetails or finger jointed sides? I will look forward to more pics as you progress. It's starting to look good. Thanks.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Are those dovetails or finger jointed sides? I will look forward to more pics as you progress. It's starting to look good. Thanks.
Dovetails. I don't do very good finger joints. Everything I do is using hand tools, which is probably why I prefer dovetails.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Is this the version you're building? I look forward to seeing the end result. Looks good so far.

View attachment 196845
yes that's it. Don't expect it to look exactly like the original. I'm often inspired by the work of another and will give them full credit for that inspiration but in my final design there will be differences. Mine is definitely different dimensions because the small drawers will be holding acrylic paint tubes of a certain size. The bottom drawer probably won't include a knob because I'm doing a secret lock which when activated will push the drawer out. That's the style of woodworking I'm going for now. And I won't be doing the kumiko design on the sliding panel. I will probably paint something, possibly a design based on inspiration I've had from what Silas Kopf does with marquetry. I'll come up with something. Its called a tea chest but it will be for painting supplies and some of my Hanayama puzzles. I like to combine my hobbies.

Richo B

New User
Richo
Sliding panel in place_12.14.20.jpg

Getting a little closer to completion. The sliding panel has been made but I've since added more pieces to the center "kumiko" pattern. The bottom drawer is missing in this photo as I've spent the week installing components that will give it a hidden compartment, a secret compartment and puzzle start so the whole thing will be a sequential discovery puzzle. Much like the type of woodworking puzzles I'll start doing in 2021.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS