Making an Elder Wand

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlrion

New User
Dan
My little sister wanted an Elder Wand for Christmas, and I have been so busy I have not posted it quite yet!

I begged Mark (Gofor) for some of that beautiful spalted sweet gum that he brought to the last Goldsboro Lunch.

He gave me a big old chunk perfect for turning a wand.
IMG_0188.jpg

View image in gallery

So I cut it

I chucked it and Spun it up!

and I got this

farmerbw

Brian
Corporate Member
Nice job Dan, it looks magically awesome!!! :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap

Brian.

cptully

New User
Chris
Dan,

Nice job. I'm glad to see that sweet gum is useful for something! I've always regarded them as trash trees - having grown up with a yard full of them and having spent many a fall weekend raking their cursed gum balls!:BangHead:

Dragon

New User
David
That's a very nice job there. Looks great. Now, my question here is, was she wanting an "elder" wand as in "age/experience" related, (as in "senior ranking"), or an "Elder" wand made from the Elder tree? Had some Elder berry wine once many years ago and it was quite good as I remember. Lots of folklore and myth associated with the Elder tree.

Gofor

Mark
Corporate Member
Looks good Dan. Glad that wood worked for you.

Not being a turner, but how did it turn as compared to what you are used to working with?

Go

manfre

New User
Manfre
Dan,

Nice job. I'm glad to see that sweet gum is useful for something! I've always regarded them as trash trees - having grown up with a yard full of them and having spent many a fall weekend raking their cursed gum balls!:BangHead:

I have a few of those in my yard. I think I need to ready the chainsaw and turn some revenge!

dlrion

New User
Dan
Phillip - I finished it with shellac and lacquer, Mark recommended it to seal the wood so it wouldn't crack!

Mark - HA! If you think this looks good, wait until you see the segmented bowl I made!!! It turns EXCELLENT!

David - The "Elder" refers to an elder tree... but I made it out of sweet gum....
---- I reject your reality, and substitute my own!!:eusa_danc

Dragon

New User
David
David - The "Elder" refers to an elder tree... but I made it out of sweet gum....
---- I reject your reality, and substitute my own!!:eusa_danc

:rotflm:Still, you did an outstanding job on it and I congratulate you. :icon_cheers

LeftyTom

Tom
Corporate Member
Dan, I like how it worked out that the grain "circles" (OK, they are more like ellipses..or is that ellipsi? :eusa_thin) appear on the raised sections of the wand.

Nice pics, except for the one where some galoot got his finger in the frame. :roll: Oh, that was for scale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS