Making a forum private

Status
Not open for further replies.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Is there anyway that we can make the "Found for Sale/ Hot Deals" forum private to just the people logged in. This way only members would be able to see it. At this monment we have had 1697 viewers in the last 24 hrs. and only 287 have been members the rest (1410) have been visitors.

I truly believe that one of the places that this site "shines" is in this forum and I think that we need to keep our finds confined to our own members. It would give all of us a better chance at "special" prices.

JMTCW

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
+2

And maybe a couple of other forums also such as wood and workshops. A lot of good info goes out with nothing coming back in!!!

DaveO

New User
DaveO
If that is what the members want it can be. But I will throw this out into the discussion. Most of the "finds" posted in that forum are from Craiglist or nationally advertised specials so they are already out there in the public view. A large majority of the guests viewing this site are not from NC or are search engine crawlers that are not the "competition". This site will only perpetuate with continued new member registrations. If we hide all that is good about this site how are we going to attract new members.
The only thing that I would see an advantage in hiding is the deals on wood from our local sawyers. But how much of that wood gets sold to folks that aren't members or don't become members after meeting folks at a wood run :eusa_thin

MTCW,
Dave:)

taandctran

New User
Thanh Tran
Would it be possible for the "poster" to decide if he/she wants it to a member only post or not??? :dontknow:

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Is there anyway that we can make the "Found for Sale/ Hot Deals" forum private to just the people logged in. This way only members would be able to see it. At this monment we have had 1697 viewers in the last 24 hrs. and only 287 have been members the rest (1410) have been visitors.
Keep in mind that some of these visitors may actually be registered users, who just didn't log in.

I truly believe that one of the places that this site "shines" is in this forum and I think that we need to keep our finds confined to our own members. It would give all of us a better chance at "special" prices.
JMTCW
Many of the deals posted here come from slickdeals, sawmillcreek, bt3central, fatwallet, etc. Hiding the forum won't do much for that. For the truly local stuff - yes, this is one area where this site really shines.

So how do we encourage people to register and contribute something? Making the Hot Deals forum only accessible to members _could_ work - it's motivation to register. On the other hand, if people have never seen the forum, how do they know there's value there? It might actually discourage people from registering. The only reason I stopped by this site was because I was looking for PVC pipe. Sort of stuck around.

Really slick would be to only show the headlines to unregistered users...to see the body of the post, they have to register. But, I have no clue on how to make the forum software do that :) Plus, that kind of teaser might tick people off...

There's also advertising to consider. The more people that visit the site (and click links with referrals), the more income NC WW generates.

But, I agree, it's nice to reward the loyal people who post here regularly with a first crack at buying the goodies. On the other hand..we get rewarded with the site every day already :gar-La;

PeteM

Pete
Corporate Member
Most of the "finds" posted in that forum are from Craiglist or nationally advertised specials so they are already out there in the public view. A large majority of the guests viewing this site are not from NC or are search engine crawlers that are not the "competition". This site will only perpetuate with continued new member registrations. If we hide all that is good about this site how are we going to attract new members.

I can't recall ANY post in that forum that wasn't already "out there".
I thought this site was about sharing. All of us were "non-members" the first time we visited. We have a classified section which is open only to members but even there many items posted are also posted on Craigslist, eBay etc..
I don't believe that keeping secrets is in keeping with the intended roll of NCWW.

My 2¢

pete

SteveColes

Steve
Corporate Member
Dave, I agree with you. Please everyone think about this. Let's not start hiding things, please, please:eusa_pray:eusa_pray
If that is what the members want it can be. But I will throw this out into the discussion. Most of the "finds" posted in that forum are from Craiglist or nationally advertised specials so they are already out there in the public view. A large majority of the guests viewing this site are not from NC or are search engine crawlers that are not the "competition". This site will only perpetuate with continued new member registrations. If we hide all that is good about this site how are we going to attract new members.
The only thing that I would see an advantage in hiding is the deals on wood from our local sawyers. But how much of that wood gets sold to folks that aren't members or don't become members after meeting folks at a wood run :eusa_thin

MTCW,

M

McRabbet

I must agree that we should keep the "Found for Sale / Hot Deals" Forum public because of the many reasons already stated. But, remember that we do have a Members Only exclusive on our Classified Ads. Only registered users may post or bid on items in the Classifieds. My .02

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
If you want to sell your stuff at a larger discount to NCWW members, that would be your business. If you want private, use PM. Forums are public for public use. Again, this also means money for the site.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
If you want to sell your stuff at a larger discount to NCWW members, that would be your business. If you want private, use PM. Forums are public for public use. Again, this also means money for the site.

Berta, I must admit that your last sentence is confusing me. How, exactly, does selling something in the classified section raise money for the site?

Berta

Berta
Corporate Member
It doesn't. However, anybody looking around, checking things out and clicking on different things, including ads. That is how money is made. Also, people becoming members and then donating, also makes money. I hope that explains is better.

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
I can't recall ANY post in that forum that wasn't already "out there".
pete

Your kidding Pete, right ? Every local wood deal or bargain that is found at Lowe's a HD such as biesemeyer fences, delta bases, saw blades, etc..
These aren't on other forums, because our own members find 'em when they walk through at lunch time, on a Sat., in the evening, etc., these aren't posted on other forums.

Bigdog72

New User
Geoff
It doesn't. However, anybody looking around, checking things out and clicking on different things, including ads. That is how money is made. Also, people becoming members and then donating, also makes money. I hope that explains is better.

Crystal :icon_scra

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy

Clicking on those ads haven't done a heck of alot to generating revenue, because we still need donations and we're still running behind on the amount needed to operate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS