making a dust collection system

Status
Not open for further replies.

steviegwood

New User
Steven
hi y'all, is it possible to make a dust/chip collection system using a squirrel cage blower out of a furnace? if so;where can i find some how to plans and suggestions for separator and storage bin for the sawdust/chips?. i would like to build a bin of sorts outside that i could back under with truck to empty. thanks. steve

Matt Schnurbusch

New User
Matt
I think it's probably do-able, but dangerous. The first decent sized chunk of wood that gets through to the squirrel cage is gonna act like a grenade. I have a Thien separator hooked up to my DC system and it does a great job. But I have overfilled my 55 gallon drum, sending larger material towards the blower. IMHO best case scenario it makes alot of noise on impact and bends the cage all to heck... Worse case, think shrapnel! :nah:

Alan in Little Washington

Alan Schaffter
Corporate Member
Nope, it won't work!

Nope, absolutely not doable. A squirrel cage fan does not have the specs. It is all CFM and not much of that. A DC blower moves a lot more air and has more static pressure than any squirrel cage fan. Save it, mount it in a box, add some good HEPA filters and you have an air cleaner. It is not good for anything else. Do a search here and on other WW sites, you will find more similar answers.

Glennbear

Glenn
As has been said a furnace blower does not have enough oomph for dust collection and the impeller is rather delicate. As Alan mentioned they are great for the basis of a shop made air cleaner. The BORG has some 4" thick filters as replacements for Honeywell air cleaners and some pricey but efficient 1" filters you could mount ahead of the 4" one. :wsmile:

steviegwood

New User
Steven
may just have to make it into an air cleaner then when my healing permits. it is now still a part of an electric furnace that a family installed gas heat and i got the electric furnace. i also have the oil fired miller furnace that i took out last spring to install a new one with ac if anyone is interested in a good furnace just make me a decent offer. trades are always a good option. steve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS