Makin' sawdust again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
For those of you who think all I ever do is talk about woodworking on here and never actually do any woodworking....... well, you're right, for the most part. :rotflm: I've planned out a nice coffee table, but I'm waiting on some money to come in before I buy the wood for it. In the mean time, we're pretty slow at work right now and I have plenty of extra wood leftover from making my bed (poor planning). So I decided to go ahead and start making a nightstand for the bedroom from the leftover brazilian cherry. I should have more than enough. Well, today I opened the storage container and wheeled everything out and set it up. Then I cut and planed the legs for the nightstand. If you've ever wondered what my shop would look like if I had one, just picture this stuff and plenty more (not pictured) crammed into a one car garage. :icon_thum Thanks for looking! :wwink:

Trent

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Glad to see that you are making sawdust with the rest of us. I am on hold for a couple more weeks.

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looks like you've got it made there. :wsmile:

For a while I had to use my table saw in the yard and hand tools on the kitchen table.

You'll be back in a cool shop before you know it.

Good work on the legs BTW. Will this night stand have a drawer?

skeeter

New User
Charles
Trent, looks like you've got a good start. You're getting a good collection of tools to make some serious sawdust. Nice start, that's some nice looking Cherry for the legs.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Glad to see that you are making sawdust with the rest of us. I am on hold for a couple more weeks.

Thanks Tracy! You'll be back at it before you know it. This website definitely helps pass the time when you can't work in the shop, or in my case, don't have a project worth getting everything out for.

Looks like you've got it made there. :wsmile:
Thanks Mike! Having your shop at work has its pros and cons.

Pros:
-They have some tools that I don't have that I can use.
-Usually there are a few other people around to help.
-Much more space than a typical garage.

Cons:
-Have to drive across town to get there.
-If a big job came in, I'd have to stop in my tracks and pack everything back into the storage container (this can happen in the middle of the night/ANY night) and not be able to work on it until the job is at a steady pace.

For a while I had to use my table saw in the yard and hand tools on the kitchen table.
Now THAT's commitment.

You'll be back in a cool shop before you know it.
I hope so! :eusa_pray

Good work on the legs BTW. Will this night stand have a drawer?
Thanks! Yes it will indeed. My first drawer. :week:

Canuck

Wayne
Corporate Member
Where there's will there is always a way!!!!!:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc:eusa_danc

That cherry looks gorgeous!:tongue100::tongue100::tongue100:

Glad to see that you are off to a great start. Hang in there. Before you know it you will have a shop of your own and will look back at this project wondering how in the world you did it!:thumbs_up:thumbs_up:thumbs_up

Thanks for the update!

Wayne

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Or else you will be able to say "nothing is too difficult after successfully completing projects under these conditions". :wwink:

JimmyC

New User
Jimmy
Thank God for casters, eh Trent. I gotta give you credit dude, you've been finding a way to make it work:icon_thum. Keep it up.

Jimmy:)

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks so much guys. :notworthy: I know it's nothing impressive, but you all are right. If you love doing something, you will find a way to do it. I feel like these times will only make my shop more efficient one day when I actually have one. I try to imagine it and everything would still be mobile, but the layout wouldn't require a lot of moving equipment around. Maybe in ten years or so, when we have a Wilmington shop crawl, I'll have my shop and proudly show off the clutter to all of you. :lol::lol::lol: I'll be sure and post pictures of the finished nightstand. There are quite a few firsts for me in this project, so it may take a while, but I'll show ya when it's done. Thanks again for looking. :icon_bigg

Trent

Bas

Recovering tool addict
Bas
Corporate Member
Trent, you're doing great. In fact, you're doing better than I am. I have a great shop all laid out, but seem to spend more time buying tools than actually making something. It's all about the sawdust. That cherry stock is going to make a sweet table.

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Trent, you're doing great. In fact, you're doing better than I am. I have a great shop all laid out, but seem to spend more time buying tools than actually making something. It's all about the sawdust. That cherry stock is going to make a sweet table.

Thanks Bas!

I think my WGD is pretty full circle. Once I got the BS and got the Woodslicers on it (thanks for the recomendation), I got the jointer and I really couldn't stand to not start on a project. My stuff is at my work, so I walk back there a dozen times a day and just cut stuff with them. I had the brazilian cherry in my storage container and just decided to build the nightstand with that. I have one more project planned for after the nightstand and hopefully some friends will see those and get all pumped up and give me some more work. :icon_thum

Trent

sapwood

New User
Roger
:5rockroll Trent!
I'm really looking forward to your progress . . . but take all the time you need to do it right :thumbsup:

Roger

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
:5rockroll Trent!
I'm really looking forward to your progress . . . but take all the time you need to do it right :thumbsup:

Roger

Thanks Roger! I always take my time to get it right. :icon_thum As for progress, I cut all of the pieces out to length, thickness, etc today. Here are a few pics.

These are the lower support pieces. I labeled each stack with a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget what was what.

I didn't have 6" stock for the sections of the skirt, so I had to glue up 3 13/16" to 2 3/16" to get 6" as planned. I'm going to cut the back section of the skirt out of this piece

I also cut this piece of veneer, just for fun. Not bad for a first try. It is between 1/32" and 1/16" wide and very consistent.

Man, I could really use some dust collection. :roll: I swept up when I was done and almost filled up a 55 gallon trash can with sawdust. :icon_thum The tools are still covered though, as are my pockets, clothes, shoes, socks and some exposed edifices. :rotflm: "Doesn't taste like cherry." :icon_scra

Tomorrow or Sunday, I'll probably start on the 18 mortises and tennons. Thanks for looking!!!!!!! :notworthy:

Trent :eek:ccasion1

Mike Davis

Mike
Corporate Member
Looking real good Trent.

Save that sawdust, it will make good mulch around the flower beds and herb gardens.

RandyJ

Randy
Corporate Member
You have been busy, Trent:yes:.

Who needs a shop? YOU don't need no stinkin' shop... you're doing quite nicely without one.

Let that sawdust fly:eek:ccasion1

erasmussen

RAS
Corporate Member
Looking GOOD:icon_thum
I always put blue painters tape on pieces and write on that as to what they are

TracyP

Administrator , Forum Moderator
Tracy
Thanks Roger! I always take my time to get it right. :icon_thum As for progress, I cut all of the pieces out to length, thickness, etc today. Here are a few pics.

These are the lower support pieces. I labeled each stack with a piece of paper so I wouldn't forget what was what.

I didn't have 6" stock for the sections of the skirt, so I had to glue up 3 13/16" to 2 3/16" to get 6" as planned. I'm going to cut the back section of the skirt out of this piece

I also cut this piece of veneer, just for fun. Not bad for a first try. It is between 1/32" and 1/16" wide and very consistent.

Man, I could really use some dust collection. :roll: I swept up when I was done and almost filled up a 55 gallon trash can with sawdust. :icon_thum The tools are still covered though, as are my pockets, clothes, shoes, socks and some exposed edifices. :rotflm: "Doesn't taste like cherry." :icon_scra

Tomorrow or Sunday, I'll probably start on the 18 mortises and tennons. Thanks for looking!!!!!!! :notworthy:

Trent :eek:ccasion1

Feels good doesn't it? Especially the tools being all covered with sawdust!

Looking Good

sawduster

New User
Robert
Way to rise above it bro :eusa_clap We do what we need to do to get that sawdust fix ! :gar-La; One day this will just be another " war story " :mrgreen:
Good on ya ' :icon_thum

Trent Mason

New User
Trent Mason
Thanks Robert! :icon_thum I was going to work on it today, but it's just so nice outside. Plus this is my only day off this week, so I might just enjoy the outdoors. Maybe try to get a tan! :week: :lol::lol::lol:

Trent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS