Mahogany Box Urn

Status
Not open for further replies.

beloitdavisja

James
Corporate Member
A box urn I recently completed and delivered to the widow. Her husband had died last summer unexpectedly on a business trip, and she wasn't sure what she wanted to do with the ashes. My neighbor gave her my name for making a wood urn, and we worked together on what she wanted it to look like. Her husband really like mahogany, so I suggested finding something with a lot of figure.

Thanks to those who suggested going up to West Penn for the mahogany. I had never been before and it was well worth the visit. I ended up buying 5 bdft of 5/4 'Ribboned' African Mahogany, and was very pleased with the service there.

For the sides, I resawed the mahogany, flipped it inside out and cut it so I could get a 4 edge continuous grain. For the top I resawed another piece to bookmatch, and picked out a section that looked like a heart after glueing together. The sides and top were all mitered so no endgrain shows. I also glued in some supports on the inside rather than doing splines to strengthen the end grain glueup. Bottom was a piece of baltic birch ply that is screwed into some support blocks once the ashes were transferred.

Took it to a local guy in Matthews who did the laser engraving, and he did a great job (custommemories.com) The wording was from the widow, and my wife did the graphic design.

Finished with sanding sealer, few coats of danish oil, then Mylands paste wax after the danish oil cured.

I delivered it to the widow and helped her transfer the ashes. She messaged me later saying it was the first day in the past year she felt a sense of peace knowing he's in his final resting place. Providing this kind of service really makes me proud to be a woodworker.

I've redacted the name in the pictures for privacy.

UrnRedacted.png

UrnRedacted2.png

bash

New User
bash
Beautiful box. The continuous grain across the face, top, and ends with the figured wood is really nice.
Can I ask the dimensions of the box?

Hmerkle

Board of Directors, Development Director
Hank
Staff member
Corporate Member
I am sure she was happy with that - a GREAT piece to look at to remember her husband!
Well done!

ScottM

Scott
Staff member
Corporate Member
The only thing more beautiful then the box is your heart that went into making it. I have done a couple inlays on urns and it is so rewarding to help someone find peace.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors