Magnolia

Status
Not open for further replies.

sawduster

New User
Robert
a little birdie whispered in my ear this morning an opportunity to score some medium size magnolia trees that will be taken down in the not-so-distant future
Does this turn well ? Is it worth keeping track of and pursuing ? Is anyone else interested ?

TIA

cyclopentadiene

Update your profile with your name
User
This is one of my favorite woods for turning. It has a great magnolia blossom aroma while turning both green and to a lesser extent when dry. It is soft, therefore very easy to sand. The coloring varies but can be excellent as it is a combination of white with grey-brown demonstrating the grain pattern. Knots from branches etc do not seem to crack. There appears to be very little movement of the wood while drying. I will try to take some pictures of work and post.

boxxmaker

New User
Ken
My neighbor cut one down two yrs ago and gave it to me,well I put it in plastic bags to take back up to NC with me,but didn't have room.So when I returned last year (6 mo) later I looked in the bags and had some of the most beautifull spaulted wood I have seen.I got some fantastic bowls from it.Loved turning it very easy to work with,with no spliting or warping at all.It had been down
about 8 mos before turning it.

kmcardle

New User
Kevin
I too love turning Magnolia. I think I put some pictures of some turning in my gallery. It smells so nice!! And really I think it makes some very nice turnings that seem to be stable. Good luck.

CarvedTones

Board of Directors, Vice President
Andy
I am interested if you want to trade a small log section. I have a little cherry log I need to cut up and areally "lumpy" (does wild things with the grain) log which the majority of folks ID as hackberry.

And I almost forgot you like to turn sweetgum balls; I could bring you a whole bunch of those... :rotflm:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Premier Sponsor

Our Sponsors

LATEST FOR SALE LISTINGS